My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Images of Hurricane Gustav

No, these are not more images of the actual hurricane or the path that he is taking. We've seen plenty of those displayed across our televisions and computer screens. We've flipped through our TV channels and Googled "Hurricane Gustav" on our computers knowing that there are, in reality, no certainties anyway. The only certainties lie in where he has already been...not where he is going!
It was very humbling to come across these photos this morning. These are people who have already been in the path of Hurricane Gustav. It's one thing to HEAR and read about the devastation in these places, but to actually see the faces of those who lived through it is hard. There's so much more to this than "where will it hit" or "when will it hit" because the reality is that it has already hit somewhere. There have already been people killed and devastated by this hurricane! With the three year anniversary of Katrina approaching, the reality of what can happen is too fresh for those on the Gulf Coast. If not, then photos like this one will remind us....1,464 flags in a cemetery in New Orleans represent those who died there as a result of Hurricane Katrina.
All we can do is prepare of the worst and hope for the best. As long as we remember that, even if we are spared, that there were still lives lost and lives changed by Hurricane Gustav!

7 Comments:

Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

It is a sad situation for those that have already been hit by Gustav. It makes me thankful that we are not in the areas that are hardest hit by hurricanes, but so sad for them at the same time. I am praying that things do eventually return to normal for those that have been hit.

Are you going to make it to bowling tomorrow?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

We'll have to wait and see with the bowling. Patrick and Carter have both been sick. They seem better now, but sort of weak, so I don't know about the bowling. I would love to see all of you!!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Tisha said...

I know all to well the devastation that a hurricane can cause living in FL my entire life. It's really sad and an eye opening experience. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of them. :(

7:07 PM  
Blogger JakesMom said...

Sherri, I hope you & your family are safe. :) Long time no see!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

I did not realize both of the boys had been sick! I hope they feel better soon and get their energy back! I am sure there will be plenty of other events to meet!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Jessica,
Patrick hasn't had the fever and diarreah..just complaints of his stomach being upset and having a funny taste in his mouth. Yesterday went very well, and Carter ate a lot more. I'm feeling better about everyone getting well by Monday. Now, if this hurricane would just settle down!

7:36 AM  
Blogger The Cooking Lady said...

I am going to keep the people of New Orleans in my thoughts. I know what it was like to go through to consecutive storms here on the Treause Coast back in 2004.

These people must be asking, "What did we do to deserve this?" There are places along the Gulf Coast that have not recovered from the last time they were hit...by Katrina.

So again, my thoughts will be with the Gulf Coast!!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home