My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Organizing

When I see all of our Saxon Math books together like this, I'm thinking that we should get some sort of discount or something for our loyalty with the product! We have so many Saxon Math workbooks that it's hard to keep straight who is finishing what and which ones will be used again the next year. It's why I label EVERYTHING that I put into our school closet. I've spent the day clearing out our shelves and re-stacking them with all of the stuff we need for this school year. It's the last step before officially declaring that I am READY to teach. The books usually spend the summer in a pile beside my desk while I use them for my yearly planning. Now that I am finally finished with that, I can get them out of my room and put them on our shelves. Madison, Patrick, and Carter each have a shelf to put books and other things on that they use on a daily basis. The space on the bottom holds a bin for pencils, crayons, rulers, etc. We also keep the shared books there, as well as our binder of writing folders.I have a shelf on the top for my teaching books/supplies.I was also keeping our loose leaf paper, computer paper, and construction paper there for the kids to get as they needed it, but came up with a better place to keep it. This freed up a lot more space on my shelf. Finally, I finished organizing our chore chart. This has worked well in the past, so I thought we would stick with it. Each one of the kids is assigned a particular color. If they do a particular chore, I put a magnet of their color under that chore. On the bottom I have put three different rewards and specified how many magnets it takes to receive each reward. They love putting their magnets on the chore spaces and counting how many more they need each day to receive their reward(treats, skipping a subject, or a small prize from our prize box).I have a few more things to do, but feel like I got the most important stuff done today! This is why I take the summer off. I just can't imagine not having this time to plan my lessons out and re-organize for the next year. I know that plenty of people do it without the break, but I just don't think that I could...that I would want to. Plus, for me, planning and organizing is half the fun!

9 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

I just love how you have everything organized. We also take the summer off to get everything done for school the next year. It just works so well for us here. I almost have Hannah's curriculum done, but the organizing will have to hold out as most of their books are packed away in boxes for moving. I can't wait to get all settled into our new house. I will have a school room Sherri! A real school room! I can't even imagine how much fun I am gonna have organizing it. It even has a closet so my DH will have lots of work to do. I want more shelves in it. LOL! Thanks for sharing this. I always enjoy seeing the things that you do in your little homeschooling world.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

Looks like you are all ready! You're an old pro now :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I am so jealous! You look so organized - Everything has a place! Good luck with the new school year : )
Best Wishes,
Donna
http://homeschoolingsunnyflorida.blogspot.com/

8:17 AM  
Blogger Motherbird said...

I'm another one who loves all the organizing and planning that goes into homeschooling.
Your place looks great! Here's to a great new school year!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like I'm not the only one deep in homeschool planning! ... Did you see my post with our school book shelves? ... I like that yours is in a closet though, we don't have an extra closet.

(http://multipleblessings.wordpress.com/2008/08/11/this-and-that-7/)

Oh, and we have that EXACT same chore chart! *lol*

I am almost done with my lesson plans (hope to finish up today), and then I have to work on our daily schedule. It changes this year since Amanda is starting kindergarten. :D

9:47 AM  
Blogger Red said...

I'm organized, but not that good. You would make Fly Lady proud. It is my goal to get that organized.

I am not obsessive, but I do like order and knowing where things are. When I was little, I thought how stupid that my Nanny(May she rest) always put her pocketbook(As she called it) in the same place...all the time.

Now that I am older *cough cough* I too find myself doing the same thing, but there is a reason. When I ask my children to fetch my purse, they know "exactly" where it is. There are only 2 places I put it. So if it isn't there, then someone has moved it...end of discussion.

I think we become creatures of habit, even if we do not wantt o admit it. We like things done a certain way. But again, it goes back to bring order to chaos(Thank you 7 of 9).

Love your closets. I am truly jealous!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Wonderful work Sherri!

My kids love the treat box too. :)

8:12 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Lage said...

Look at how marvelously organized you are, Sherri! (Seriously, I always made some first-day judgments of my teachers by how organized/inviting all the school accoutrements were arranged upon arrival.) You're kids are in for a great year!

Thanks so much for coming by my blog...love yours!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That looks amazingly organized! I'm not sure I'm that organized! I am doing pre-school stuff with the twins As you've inspired me to give it a try.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home