My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The School Supply List That I Do NOT Miss!

When people ask how we can afford to homeschool with the cost of books and all, I just have to laugh. If Madison, Patrick, and Carter were going to the public school this year, I would have to buy EVERYTHING listed below for them....these are the lists for the grades and schools that they would be in. Add this to the school fees, lunches, etc. and I think we actually come out ahead. I've never agreed with parents having to supply the the classroom with things like dry erase markers, red pens, cleaning wipes, etc. There are some things that a student should be responsible for, but a lot of the items on the lists are things that they shouldn't have to buy or an excess amount of what they do need.

(1) pkg white computer paper (boys)

(2) large boxes tissues

(2) boxes Ziploc bags

(2) pocket folders

(1) 2-inch binder

(1) 1-inch binder

(4) pkg loose leaf paper (must be replenished during the year)

(4) highlighters

(2) large rolls paper towels

(1) bottle of glue

(2) dry erase markers

(1) bottle hand sanitizer

(1) black permanent marker

(1) 3-ring zipper pencil pocket for binder

(2) pkg index cards

(1) hand held pencil sharpener

(1) box pencil top erasers

(1) pkg red pens

(4) pkg dividers with tabs

(1) pkg Clorox disinfectant wipes

**Some teachers may require extra items not listed**

3-ring binder

1 black speckled composition book

(2) 5-tab index dividers

(4) pkg wide ruled loose leaf paper (not college ruled)

(5) pocket folders with brads

(6) 12-pack pencils **NO MECHANICAL PENCILS**

(1) pkg graph paper

Crayola markers

Crayola crayons

Crayola colored pencils

Construction paper

(4) glue sticks

Scissors

(3) boxes tissues

(1) pkg highlighters

(2) rolls paper towels

(1) box gallon Ziploc bags

(1) box quart Ziploc bags

Ruler (w/ metric and standard measurements)-to be kept at home for homework

(1) pkg red ink pens

(1) hand sanitizer

(1) pkg baby wipes-boys only

(1) pkg Expo dry erase markers (no pastels or neon colors)

(1) box band aids-boys only

2 three-ring binders

3 packages of 300 count wide ruled paper

2 packages of pens...blue, black, and red

1 box colored pencils

MATH-1 in. binder

2 packages (10) #2 pencils

1 package dividers with pockets

1 package divider tabs

1 three-subject spiral notebook with pockets

On top of this, there are the school fees...$20 or more for each child, as well as lunch fees. Also, for the 7th grade, there would be additional fees for some of the classes...ie. physical ed, art, etc. Of course, our decision to homeschool had nothing to do with our inability to buy all of these things, but it does feel great to see our money going towards things that we know we need...things that WE will use!

15 Comments:

Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Some of the things on the lists are really strange! What's up with boy's only items? I do not like getting school supplies. {I do not think I could teach my kids though, too many age groups here.}

12:11 AM  
Blogger Ganeida said...

I don't miss the lists either. Plus we had uniforms for state schools ~ $200+ per child per yr for one uniform set WITHOUT shoes. The middle 3 were elite athletes so huge sports fees. On & on & on.Ditz's music costs a fortune but I don't have anywhere near the same overheads as if she were in school.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I posted my comment about this on the JM forum, but I am still shaking my head at this list. It is just unreal.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Perri said...

It's just crazy everything the kids have to supply that the the school should be supplying with our school tax money we pay and don't even send out kids to school.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I just had this conversation with my sis yesterday. I heard a commercial for "the poor people that can't afford school supplies". Weird, I thought our taxes were being raised every freakin year for "school, for the children". I know for a fact that teachers buy extra supplies for kids that forget or "can't afford" them. What the heck is the big deal anyway? Bring some pencils and some 19 cent notebooks and that should be good enough!!!!!!! There is no reason why the school (US, you know...TAXES!) can't provide the little extras like scissors, markers tissues. Sheesh. Also, it's weird that event though those lists are long, they do not contain very many expensive items. Glue and pencils are cheap. What's the deal with ziploc baggies and highlighters? Why not just tell them they need a highlighter marker at some point (I'm sure moms can find one in the junk drawer). If they whittled the list down to necessities, it would come to about 10 bucks total. What parent wouldn't sacrifice SOMETHING just to spend that lousy 10 bucks and get their kid off to school? The whole thing is a joke.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Teacher of One said...

Ugh... thats a long list. I am so glad not to be making one of those lists anymore or having to buy one for G.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we have always homeschooled, I had no idea that the school lists were that long! And some of those things! You've got to be kidding! Ziplock bags? Crazy!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Red said...

For families on a bug=dget or with multipkle children that could break the bank.

I too, do not miss that outrageous list (We are entering our fifth year of homeschooling), what ever happened to the public school supplying the children with their necessities?

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the 5th grade list only

12:01 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Anon...whoever you are. No, this isn't just the 5th grade. This is all three grades my children would have been in..everything that I would have been buying had they gone to the pbulic school this year.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow.....makes me just a little curious to do the same thing you did in checking out the supply lists for the grades my kids would be in if they went to school. This will be our 14th year of HSing & all I buy for supplies is some .05 notebooks, notebook paper, markers, colored pencils, etc & I always stock up on the Crayola crayons when they are like .20. I tell ya...sending my oldest off to college this year probably didn't cost me that much in what I spent getting him ready to move out! Honestly!!!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Stagnant Life said...

I am SO glad i get to CHOSE what supplies I get!

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The school lists are just crazy. This is our first year homeschooling, but we still have friends at the private school she went to last year. They had to bring in a similar list. When they told me 5 reems of copy paper, I asked why. I remember the last day of school, there was a huge stack (and I mean huge) still in the classroom we brought for that year. I wonder where all that paper went!?!? In public school, she wasn't even allowed to bring her supplies home...they were "community property".

Ah, thank goodness for homeschool!!

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ran across this posting...districts are struggling to keep class sizes down and pay their teachers enough so that we can make a meager living. One of our biggest budget items is already paper and supplies and we get very little of it. Asking you for help is helping me...because if I need something the school won't buy it - instead I have to go buy it myself.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Well, I feel for you, anon, but no more than I feel for those who end up having to pay for all of that. I was just saying that I am very thankful that I don't have to do that anymore. It would have been different had I thought that my kids would use all of that, but I knew that they couldn't. I believe that some of it was to cover for those who wouldn't bring what they needed. At any rate, my main point was just relief that I didn't have to deal with it anymore. I buy what I need when I need it, and I never need that much!!
Thanks for the note.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home