My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Independence Day

We had a relaxing, fun Independence Day. Jeff grilled hamburgers while we popped some fireworks. We watched some movies that Jeff rented for the day and just hung out. That night we took the kids to the river to see the firework display. We took our towels and sat out on the levee with everyone else. We have never taken the kids to see a firework show like this, so it was exciting to watch them when it started. I knew that they had never seen fireworks that big. The display lasted for 15 minutes...really nice. On Wednesday, I found some cookies in the refrigerator that I had intended on baking with the kids on the 4th, but forgot. We made them yesterday. They were fun to make and yummy!!
Jeff and I really tried to make the kids understand the significance of the day. They understood that it was America's birthday, but we wanted them to understand why. We want them to realize and be thankful that we enjoy freedom that not everyone in the world does. Many men have died so that we can enjoy the freedom that we have. I don't want them to ever take it for granted!

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

That sounds like a wonderful celebration Shery. I did the same with the older boys this year for Canada day. I wanted them to understand the true meaning behind it.

Those cookies look delish!!! :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Those cookies look great! Glad you had such a good day!

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home