My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 19, 2008

Pet Peeves

We all have them...those little things in life that just drive us crazy!!! Some of them are easy to overlook, while others have such a direct affect on us that we cant! Either way, they are not and never will be easy to tolerate. Here are some of my pet peeves:

Copying: I absolutely can not stand for someone to copy something that I do. Unlike many, I have never liked having things or doing things like other people. If a certain style of purse is in(oversized, gawdy), I will go the opposite direction. If everyone and his brother is crazy about something(LSU products), I will stay away from it. I am just not the type to DO something or WEAR something just because everyone else is. Now, if I truly like it, then that's different. So, it's understandable that if I do something only to turn around and find it copied, it irritates me beyond words. I just can't comprehend having to look to others for direction in what to wear, what to carry, what to do, etc. I understand that I should be flattered when someone mimics me, but I'm not....it's just irritating. I'm also not implying that I NEVER have anything like anyone else...or do anything like others.....it's just not the norm for me. I just like to see people think for themselves.

Exposing Sick Kids: Not much irritates me more than parents who have their sick kids out in public. So many times, I have seen parents send their child to school sick just so he/she wouldn't miss out on their perfect attendance. I have heard them say that they encouraged their child to try to make it 1/2 a day. Well, in the meantime, the child has exposed an entire classroom of children to the mess. I have seen them in church with runny noses and at birthday parties having just thrown up that morning. I think it is cruel to put the sick child through it, but even worse to expose all of those who are innocent bi-standers. I especially hate to hear lame excuses from the parents (he just threw up because he ate something wrong.....it's just allergies not a cold...he just coughs like that with the change of weather, etc.). If your child is sick, let him stay home....please....if not for his sake, then for everyone else!!

Driving Slow in the Left Lane: If you are going to go the same speed as the person to the right of you then JUST MOVE OVER. The left lane is for PASSING!!!

Having to Deal with Other People's Dogs: I have a dog. She doesn't go to other people's houses to chew up their things. They don't have to lie in the bed and listen to her bark all night. She doesn't chase after and bark at people trying to walk down our road. This is the way it should be. If you choose to have a pet, then you should be the only one who has to deal with that pet. I missed no less than 2 hours of sleep last night due to the neighborhood dogs barking in my yard or near it every time I dozed off.

Parents Telling my Kids What to do While I am Standing There: This doesn't usually happen more than once, as I am quick to let it be known that I will deal with my own children. If they are doing something wrong that I refuse to address, then maybe, but give me a chance first.

Spitting Gum Out in a Parking Lot or Yard: Seeing a child do this is bad enough, but to witness an adult doing it is absurd. To me, spitting gum out in a parking lot or yard for someone else to have to step on is no better than spitting it out in a living room floor.

Kids Who Run a Household: I'm not implying that children shouldn't have a say in the way that things are done in a home, but their say shouldn't be the last word! I cannot stand to see a parents being run all over by their child/children. What are they afraid will happen if they just put their feet down and say, "This is the way it's going to be"? So many parents these days allow their children to talk to them in ways that they shouldn't even be allowed to talk to other children. I see parents bargaining with their children in an attempt to get what they want out of them. I hear statements like, "He just won't lie down for his quiet time anymore". What do you mean, he won't? I just don't get that. No, my kids are not perfect and never will be because I'm not a perfect parent, however, I can say without a doubt that they do not run our household!

Smoking in Public Places: I cannot express enough how selfish this is. To say that it is your business where you choose to smoke and that it doesn't affect anyone else is like saying that you can pee in a certain section of a pool! There are no "peeing sections" in a pool for a reason...the same reason why there shouldn't be smoking sections in public places. I don't choose to smoke and don't appreciate having to breath in the smoke of those who do.

I know that there are things that I do that probably hit upon someone else's pet peeves. So, tell me yours! I know that everyone has at least a few to share!

11 Comments:

Blogger Perri said...

Oh my gosh! You hit every one of mine and let me add to it.

Self addressed thank you notes at showers. This ticks me off to no end. They knew my address well enough to send me a "come bring me a present" note -and unless I've moved, it's still the same. Write it out yourself!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

I agree with most of your pet peeves. The ones that irritate me the most are exposing sick kids, disciplining my children when I'm standing there and smoking in public places.

One of mine is the "me, me, me!" mindset. There are times we should be selfish and think about ourselves, but not 99% of the time! :) It's hard to have a friendship with someone when everything is about them.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

I really hate it when people go through the 10 items or less express lane with 30 items! I know that sounds nit picky, and I'm not standing there, thinking bad thoughts about someone with 13 items in a 10 item lane, but there are some people who just push that limit too far!
Also, I can't stand whining kids and I hate it when I see parents give in to their kids demands when they're whining. Drives me NUTS!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Stagnant Life said...

I HATE people smoking in public. We went to our county fair last week and there were people smoking where we were eating and I really didn't want a side order of 2nd hand smoke with my burger!!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

I so agree with your pet peeves! I hate passive aggressiveness. And people taking offense when none is intended. And I hate the really hard security thing that you have to type in to post on a lot of blogs. But apparently I don't hate it enough to not comment. I just end up having to type the word string a couple time usually lol (Case in point - I'm about to type the letters a second time for this post...)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, don't even get me started on the sick kids thing!!! That is my ultimate & the icing on the cake is that my own sis is the Queen of doing this!! They had ALL been sick this past Thurs. with the stomach bug...but she went to a concert at church on Fri. night anyway....because she was feeling better & REALLY wanted to go! That one just made me SO mad. Is she not a grown-up now....we don't always get what we want & on top of it all....she's sharing those germs with everyone else! ugh!! Stepping down off my soap box now!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Oh my gosh! Were you in my head for this one!

Copy Cats...oh girl we should talk! LOL!

The sick kid thing, do people not realize that some parents have children with immune disorders? Things that okay in their child is almost hospital time for a kid like mine!

The dog thing! Amen! So glad to have not had this issue as of yet at this house.

Parenting of my child before I can even get there and doing it wrongly is a BIG issue of mine. I have really had to make this a known no no with certain people. It is never easy and you never know how they will react. But they are my kids...and good kids.

I know kids who eat what they want when the family has something else, or they rule the roost all together. Why, because the child just doesn't listen. *sigh*

11:10 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It appears that you and I have the same pet peeves. LOL! I also tend to do the opposite of what people are doing too. Hence the homeschooling part. And I HATE it when people bring sick kids places too. I had this discussion with MIL last week. Emily had been throwing up so she wasn't going to her singing class. MIL says "Well, see how she feels in the afternoon and then she can go." I told her no, if more parents kept their sick kids home maybe she wouldn't be puking right now. It really bugs me! I keep my kids in as long as they need and don't take them to church until they are well. MIL just thinks anytime people are "stuck inside" that there is something wrong. Honestly, what is so wrong with being home sometimes?

I hate public smoking too. Some people are respectful and try to be as far away from public as they can and walk away when they see people coming their way. But a lot of them aren't. With my asthma it really bugs me. When I was in the middle of labor and heading to the hospital nothing made me more mad than the person smoking right by the emergency door. I was about ready to rip him one if I hadn't been clinging to my husband at the time.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Amz said...

Looks like we share a lot of the same pet peeves...I hear you on the Driving Slow in the Left Lane and Dealing with other people's dogs! Hate that!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Amen to ALL of you pet peeves! I share all of them.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

First of all I am so glad you posted on my blog. I got a new computer at work and didn't think to save my bookmarks before the tech took off with my old one. Second...what if your closest friend starts to violate your pet peeves? That has recently happened to me. Also, I hear you on the dog thing. I have always had dogs but never take them with me when I visit others' homes. My in-laws treat their dog better than they treat my kids. I wish I wasn't taking up so much space, I'd tell you unbelievable stories.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home