My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 22, 2008

First Week of School and a Fun Weekend!

We finally said our farewells to summer break and pulled out our books. It has been a nice, long break, but I was ready to get back on our schooling schedule. It's good to once again see the big schedule board taking up space in our dining room!As always, we celebrated the first day of school with pizza! The funnest thing for me was getting back into our Science projects. Our first experiment of the year was an example of the scientific method. I presented them with this question: Can you blow a bigger bubble with a fresh piece of gum or one that you have chewed all of the sugar out of? We had mixed answers, so we did an experiment to find out which one was right. First, each one of them blew a bubble with a piece of gum that had been chewed for 3 minutes. I measured each of them, then had them blow a bubble with a fresh piece of gum and measured them. We charted the results and found that the gum that had all of the sugar chewed out of it blew the bigger bubbles. It was, of course, a fun experiment with all of the gum involved!

















Because we are studying life science this year, I had planned to take the kids to the zoo on Friday. However, because we went to the zoo on the first week of school last year, we decided to take them to a safari park instead. Jeff and I have been wanting to take the kids to this park, but with his work and singing schedules, we've had a hard time fitting it in until now. We also wanted to wait until the weather cooled off. It turned out to be a great evening for it, except for the awful amount of mosquitoes that we had to endure! We chose to drive our car through the park instead of riding on the tour wagon. We felt like we would have more contact with the animals from our car, which we did!! I don't know if I had funner feeding the animals or watching my kids, as well as Madison's friend, get excited about feeding and touching them. It was an amazing experience!



























You don't see a sign like this one too often!
After the safari, we walked through the petting zoo. The best part of that were the kangaroos. We had so much fun with them!








On Friday night, Madison and I got to have a girls' night out for my niece, Kinley's, 10th birthday. My sister, Vicki, and I took the girls out to eat then to a local hotel to swim, play, and spend the night. We had so much fun!! The girls spent a lot of time playing spa, which was so fun to watch. We finally turned the lights out at 3:00 the next morning because we knew that we all had a lot planned for the next day. We were still tired, but it was worth it to have that fun night out with the girls!!!



































12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That safari park looks like fun! We're planning a vacation next spring to take in the different safari and game parks here in Oregon. We're going to 3 different ones, plus the Oregon Coast Aquarium, and the Sea Lion caves... I just found out about a big cat park, but I don't think we can squeaze another one into the schedule. *lol* (My kids are BIG into animals, land and ocean ones.)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Man you guys have been having so much fun. :)Welcome back to school!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

It looks like y'all had a great first week of school! I love the pizza idea for the first day! The Delta Safari Park looks like a blast. We haven't been there yet.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

That spa fun time looks so great. I bet you girls all had a blast! The science experiment results are very interesting.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Stagnant Life said...

I wanna feed the animals!!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Crystal Starr said...

Pizza on the first day, how fun! We wear PJs on the first day...well lots of days. I think it's fun that we can. =)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Cute, cute! Looks like a lot of fun with the animals. And girl spa nights are the best!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Jami said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It is nice to meet new people. I think it is great that you can homeschool your children. It takes special people in special situations to do that!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Love your bubble gum science!

The zoo pix are so fun. I also love that last one with all the girls in a circle.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

YOur bubble results were not what I would have expected.
The safari park sound awesome! Wish we had anything like that! We don't even have a zoo! We do et all sorts of deer in the yard:)

12:41 AM  
Blogger Dana Leeds said...

I love the bubble gum science experiment. Looks like a fun way to educate! :-)

And, my daughter and I love drive-thru safari parks. The girls' night looks like fun, too.

You asked me about my fence... a bunch of the neighbors will need a new one, so hopefully we'll just all get together and take care of it. We're going to have to wait awhile, though... I'm sure fence builders will be in HUGE demand.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

It has been awhile, but I had to stop by and see what you have been up to. Jease I missed ya! Looks like y'all had a great first week of school. I loved the bubblegum experiment. What fun! That girl's night out sounded awesome and the photos were great. I have one of those dry erase boards with the girl's lessons listed on it too. We have it in our new schoolroom! I still can't believe that we have our own schoolroom now! I can't wait to get my own computer back up and running so that I can post pictures.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home