My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Spiders

I'm not crazy about spiders or anything, but I just wanted to share a few things that we have recently gotten to see.
While at our Sunday School party last weekend, I saw this huge spider hanging in its web VERY close to the pool. The couple who lived there told us that the spider, or one like it, is there every summer. They know that it isn't poisonous, so they let it stay. I asked them if I could catch a cricket and put it in the web so that we could watch the spider capture it. That's what we did....twice. It was AMAZING. We called the kids over so they could watch the spider spin it's web around the cricket to capture it. I can't believe how fast it happened. One minute the cricket was moving around and then, within seconds, it was paralyzed and wrapped in web. What an amazing thing to get to observe!









This week, Jeff brought home another surprise for us to see....a Black Widow spider! I have never seen one alive. It was scary to be that near a live one knowing how much damage it could do. We froze it so the kids could get a close look at it. I wanted them to know what it looked like so that if they ever see one they will know what it is. Hopefully, that won't happen!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

eeeek! I am terrified of spiders!! I'm glad you got to show the kids that up close and personal though. That is a neat experience for them. Icky....but neat. LOL

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home