My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I have been on the waiting list at the library for this book for weeks. I finally got it yesterday and have already finished reading it. I started it last night but read most all of it today...in one day! John Boyne is an amazing writer. He reminds me a lot of Ann-Marie McDonald in that he doesn't come right out and tell the reader everything. He says just enough to allow the reader to read between the lines.
Patrick asked me if he could read it, so I have passed it on to him. There may be parts that he doesn't "get," and the book is really sad, but I think he will get a lot out of it. I don't usually want to see movies based on books that I have read, but I've heard that this is a really good one. I think I may have to give it a chance!

Update: Patrick read the entire book last night! When I checked on him at 10:30, he was halfway through it. He begged me to let him continue reading. I thought he would probably read himself to sleep, but I found out this morning that he read until he was finished with the entire book...sometime after midnight. He had a lot of questions this morning. We sat and talked about what all had happened in the story as well as our different perspectives on the characters and the author's purpose. Since I finished reading the book, I wanted so badly to sit and talk to someone else to see their perspective. It felt so great to be able to do this with Patrick! I'm so excited to introduce him to some of my favorite novels as he gets older!

7 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

I saw that this one was playing at the movies. I always try to read the book before I see the movie. The books are always so much better. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and I hope that Patrick does too.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Motherbird said...

I've been wanting to read this one too. I'm headed to the library this afternoon- thanks for reminding me to pick it up. :-)

7:32 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Funny you should mention this! I saw it at the bookstore for the first time yesterday... I read the publisher's blurb about it and put it on my list of things to read. I'm glad my instincts were right - sounds like it's a good one to read!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I'm still waiting to get mine through the library. I can't wait!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

That good????? I will check it out after I am done with the Anne series.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

That is by far the SADDEST movie i've ever seen...
Me, my boyfriend (Joel) and two of our best friends watched it about a week ago...I cried like a baby...can't even imagine how sad the book is!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I didn't read the book but I'm thinking it might be worth it. I know they tried really hard, but the movie was just rotten. The kids got to the end and said, "THAT'S IT?!". They were horribly disappointed but I'll bet they would really appreciate the book. I think they just couldn't get over the fact that there was no REDEMPTION at all in the film. It was just badness for badness sake. There were also a lot of weird characters that didn't make any sense (adaptational glitches?).

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home