My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Science and Sewing

We've been studying plants in Science. To demonstrate transpiration in plants, we did an experiment on a geranium. We watered the plant then covered the base of it with a plastic bag to prevent evaporation of the water from the soil. We weighed the plant five times within a week to see how much water it would lose through its leaves. Here are the results. The plant lost a total of 7 oz. in one week.

Our sweet potato finally started sprouting...and sprouting...and sprouting. We have it in the windowsill and cannot believe how much it grows in a day.
Madison is still enjoying her sewing. She surprised us by cutting her own pattern and making a pair of pants for her American Girl doll. Then, she made a shirt to go with it. I hand sewed a skirt for her doll to show her how to do it, but I'm not sure how she figured out the pants and shirt.
Carter was interested in what Madison was doing, so she started teaching him how to sew. He was so excited to just be able to sew two pieces of material together. Then, Madison cut a pattern out for him to make some underwear for his Build-A-Bear monkey. She would tell him where to sew and thread his needle, then let him do the sewing. I know sewing is a "girl" thing, but I was not going to stop Carter from doing something that he enjoyed because of that. Madison is very much a girl, but she doesn't hesitate to go outside and play ball or play in the mud with the boys. It hasn't made her a tomboy, so I figure a little sewing won't hurt Carter. He just loves to get into whatever is going on around him..that's what I love about him. I was proud of their finished project!
I told Madison that once she learns to hand sew that I would let her use my serger for her projects. I remember spending hours with Vicki sewing projects by hand for our dolls and stuffed animals when we were kids. I love seeing my kids to it now. I can't wait to see what Madison does with a serger!

7 Comments:

Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

Fun! I love the sewing projects! I think it's great that Carter is interested in it. Madison did great with the pants and shirt! I love the boxer shorts!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I am so impressed with Madison's outfit for her doll. Wow, she did so good with that!! You will have to buy her some simple patterns to work with.

It took that sweet potatoe long enough to decide to sprout!

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kids did great on their projects! ... When I was 10-12, I was always making all sortd of clothes for my dolls out of mom's scraps. It was always such fun! ... My girls will be learning soon too. Whenever I work on a quilt, you should see them. They always watch with such interest!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

When that sweet potato decided to sprout it really sprouted didn't it! LOL!

The kiddos did a great job on their sewing! I think that it is wonderful knowing that your son has an interest in it. Some of the most well known tailor's are men. :0)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

Cool experiment! Great job with the sewing!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Wow look at that outfit! Great job, Madison!!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Okay, Mrs. Chelita wants Madison for a few hours one day. I love the pants suit!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home