My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Greek Dish

We've been studying Greece and Rome in History, so we decided to try a Greek dish. I pulled up some options and let the kids choose which one they wanted to cook. They all finally agreed on a cabbage and rice dish.
First, we sauteed our onions then added slices of cabbage.








Next, we added some tomatoes and two cups of water. I used stewed tomatoes, but we could have also cut up fresh ones. I just wanted the extra juice in the stewed ones.
After letting this cook for 10 minutes, we added a cup of rice. We let this cook until the rice was done and had absorbed all of the water. I added salt and a lot of pepper.
Here is the finished product! After it was done, I sprinkled lemon juice over the top of it. Patrick and Carter tried it, but they didn't like it very much. The rest of us loved it!!! I will be making this dish again!

12 Comments:

Blogger Amz said...

Yum! That does look yummy! Did you use any spices at all?

10:06 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Amz,
Yes, I used salt and a lot of pepper. I also forgot to add that I sprinkled lemon juice over the dish when it was done! I need to go and add that!!
Thanks for the note!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

I think I'd be with Patrick and Carter (I don't like cabbage or cooked onions or tomatoes). I love seeing the pictures of it as you cooked it!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

YUM!! That looks so good! My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I love a good gyros sandwich on pita with onion and cucumber sour cream sauce....MMMMMMM!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I love all of those ingredients so I am sure that I would love this dish. It just looks so yummy!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

I love cabbage!!!! YUMMY!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

That looks SO good!! I want to try that but will have to cut the recipe in half since I am the only one who would eat it. It looked good to me even before the rice was done LOL.

I'll see y'all later :-)

7:06 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh, yum! My family hates cabbage, but I would love to try this!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I loved cooked cabbage. It looks so yummy!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Mmmm... that looks SO yummy! Something I will definitely need to try.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Mmmm!!! I LOVE cabbage and tomatoes are one of my favorites. It looks very yummy!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

This looks delicious! We are not fans of cabbage here, but it sounds like it would taste great!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home