My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween 2008


















I love setting everything out for Halloween Day. I always do it the night before so the kids can wake up to it on Halloween morning. We don't do school on Halloween Day, so we have the entire day to play.
The kids made cards for Jeff and me. They were happy that Jeff missed his workout that morning, which meant that he was home when they got up. They were able to give him his card before he went to work. We started the day with cinnamon rolls with orange icing. I was able to find them with the icing already orange last year, but this year I had to color it myself. I thought they turned out okay...they tasted great.
We found the "Crafty Crawlers" kits at Target on clearance a few weeks ago. We made little critters that came with motors so they could walk around. They were so fun, though Ginger was a little confused with them walking around the house!








We made caramel apples and more of our ghost cookies to take with us when we went trick or treating with Jeff's brother and his family.
















Madison chose to dress as a baby this year, complete with the pacifier and a diaper bag to put her candy in. Her cousin, Kinley, came up with the idea and wanted Madison to go as the same thing. We tried to get Kinley in on our Halloween plans, but it just didn't work out. Patrick went as Iron Man and Carter as a pirate. The kids even dressed their Build a Bear babies for Halloween. We bought them little baskets for their candy!

























As always, we had a great time with Jeff's brother and his family....eating Frito Pies and trick or treating. They live in a nice, safe neighborhood. I'm thankful that they invite us to celebrate Halloween with them each year. The cousins love being together for it!

















When the kids were babies, Jeff and I went through a few years of refusing to celebrate Halloween. We fell into the thinking that it was evil and knew that the kids were too young to ask us why we weren't trick or treating anyway. As they got older and entered into the school system, it was harder to avoid it. We got back into celebrating it with some reservation. Then, it just became part of us again. As we were doing some of our Halloween crafts, Carter asked my if Halloween was invented so that we could have fun. I paused as if to go into detail about the origins and give him a lesson on how we avoid thinking of it that way. Instead, I looked at him and simply said, "Well, Carter, it might have been started for the wrong reasons, but we choose to celebrate it just as a great way to have some fun!" That was all he needed....he was satisfied. When it's all said and done, the fun is what he remembers....oh, and the buckets of free candy!

11 Comments:

Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

It looks like y'all had a great Halloween! We took the day off from school, also. The kids had a great day!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

Looks like a great Halloween! Cameron went as Iron Man, too. He LOVES Iron Man.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our kids get to trick-or-treat with their cousins too. They love it. :D ... I forgot to take pictures of their loot though! :(

6:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm so glad to hear you say that...when our kids were little we too kind of 'avoided' Halloween,but also came back around to it also & just like you said....just for the fun of it!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Oh Sherri I swear we need to get together! I love Halloween for the fun! I gave the girls a Halloween party too. We had a blast! I will have the photos up as soon as I can, as I also had Lindsay's 7th birthday party this weekend and we went to a family Halloween party. The kids costumes are so cute and I LOVE Madison's. How darling is that?! Those caramel apples look so yummy. I like to make mine with the green Granny Smith apples. They are so delicious with their tart taste. MMM! Thanks so much for sharing your fun with us.

11:02 AM  
Blogger "The Queen in Residence" said...

Teh costumes look great. What a fun night and so good that you can shy away from the Halloween theme and think of it as a great time together as a family. I love kids and their simple explaination of things.
I am always impressed of mom's that can homeschool. I am sure that your kids will really be grateful for all this extra time they got to be in the love of home and not public school.
I wanted to come over and say thanks for stopping by my crazy life, but it makes for good blog material.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Looks like a fun Halloween at your house! Cute crafts. We don't do school at our house either on Halloween. Thanks for the comments on my blog. :)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jami said...

It does look like you had a fun Halloween. It seems many people have reservations about celebrating Halloween. We celebrate it and did as kids. I like to think of it as a great way to have fun as well.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

What an awesome day! It looks like everyone had so much fun. And I love all the costumes. The kids looks great and so do the bears!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Sounds like fun times at your house!
Wanted to thank you for your comments! We are so looking forward to our cruise. I will take bunches of photos and I'll post them!
Good luck choosing your next destination!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Hee hee...poor Ginger! I bet she was like what the heck...the ghost lights must have mutated. (I hope you remember to what I refer.)

Fun stuff girly!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home