My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Election Day Activities

First, let me say that all three of my children were very involved with the outcome of this election. It's not because Jeff and I sit around and talk about politics all the time, but because our kids ask us questions that we give them straight answers to. They probably knew more about what both candidates stood for than a lot of people who voted. I haven't said much here about our views on this election, but I will say that we were all very upset about the outcome. I saw not only disappointment in my children, but also fear of what could happen to us. I put aside my desire to sulk and sat them down with a Bible to help make sense of what had happened. I showed them, through Bible verses, that God is in control and has the ultimate power. I reminded them that in all of our past studies of old world history that every leader was there to fulfill God's purpose. We cannot see the big picture. The only thing we know of for sure is the outcome....because we believe what the Bible tells us. Our ultimate responsibility is to cling to our one true leader and let Him do what is best for us, even when we can't see how it can possibly be.
I think that we all felt better after our little Bible study...I know that I did!
Afterwards, we watched some fun videos on this site: http://www.brainpop.com/spotlight/election/ We've learned most of this information in our past studies, but it was great to refresh all of our minds during this time. It's always funner to watch cool little videos than to read the information in a book!
I printed some fun puzzles for the kids to do as well as blank electoral maps for them to color in. Then, I had each of them count the electoral votes for each candidate to help them understand where the numbers came from. It was a fun way to teach them the difference in popular vote and electoral votes.
Carter made the trip with me to vote. Madison and Patrick were afraid of the long lines, but it was worth it for Carter to get to "help" me vote. I think it was a good experience for him, as always!
I haven't put too much emphasis on the race of each of our candidates for a reason. I think that there are issues way more important when deciding on a President than what his/her race is. Yes, I know that it is very cool for many to imagine witnessing the first time that a Presidential elect is not a white man. I also think that it's scary to imagine how many based their vote solely on that concept. After our discussion this morning on God's sovereignty and our responsibility to honor what He has chosen to do, I did mention to the kids that they had witnessed a huge day in history...one that will always be remembered. Even with their feelings of disappointment, I wanted them to understand the significance of that. All we can do now is look to the future and trust God...it shouldn't be our last resort, but our only one!

8 Comments:

Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

It sounds like a great election day in your house! We were upset to see the results, also. Our Pastor shared some of his feelings during Wednesday night's service. It was interesting because he'd received calls all day from people that were worried about what's going to happen. It really helped me feel peace.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

Sounds great! You know I agree with you on the outcome, and also that knowing there is a plan that we just can't see (and those whole checks and balances thing in government) makes me feel at peace.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Very well said!
I only know of 3 people who were voting for Obama so I don't know how he won. We have to trust in God and maybe this will call more of us to get involved (write letters to senators and congress people) to let our voices be heard. I don't quite have the peace about me yet that he will respect and protect life.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Very well written, interesting post Sherri! I was so disappointed, even depressed at the outcome of the election even though I knew it was a strong possibility that it would turn out the way that it did.
Just like you stated, God is in control of it all and we must put our trust solely in Him.
I also am committing myself to praying for our new President elect. I still respect the Office of President even though I am disappointed at who will hold that office.
Thank you for sharing this post!

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great testimony of Christian parenting! Praise God for your witnessing in such a precious and timely way. It helped me to know that it had to go by God before Obama was elected...Nothing happens to God's children without Him giving permission. May we pray for Obama's heart to change in many areas and for his soul to be saved. Love you all.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I, also, was not pleased with the outcome, but like you, I sat my children down and explained to them that we had to pray for the best. I love the way that you teach your children and explain things to them. You are such a wonderful mother to them.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

I had a rough first 2 days of it afterwards...but you did an awesome job sherrie!

My childre were bummed as well. But they also believe that the LORD is in charge. :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

ACK! I was NOT prepared for how hard they took the results of the election! The two biggers came up to me about 20 times as I was trying to get everyone to bed. They were all anxious to stay up to see the results and I kept telling them to go to bed. I was up on the computer around midnight and Trina came up and cried because the writing was on the wall about Obama. The next morning, they both kind of teared up and told me "it's the end of the world!" in their own ways. I was shocked! I had to calm them down over and over (I didn't cry, just got angry and resolved) and tell them that everything would be fine and the world would still turn. I think they were mainly thinking that babies could now be aborted with abandon or something. I was touched that they made that connection and felt so strongly for the babies. I just have to do a better job of reassuring/preparing for when things go bad.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home