My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, April 17, 2008

From Me To Them

One of the greatest things that I could give my children is the love of reading. I've never pushed it on them, though when they were in the school system they were quickly growing to hate it through AR(accelerated reading). I only lead them through my example and make the books available to them. It's so rewarding when one of them picks up a book on his/her own and reads it.
Yesterday at Target, I told them to each pick out a book that they would like to buy. It was as if we were in the toy department. They were so excited about their books that the lady checking us out picked up on it. She said that she had never seen children so excited about getting new books :). They didn't want to put them down when we got home, even after I told them that they could get in the pool if they wanted to. They were all lost in different worlds....worlds that only their books could take them. One of the most beautiful sights in the world to me is that of a child reading!

8 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

Oh my goodness, we have got to be connected somehow! My girls are in Heaven when I tell them to pick a new book or toy at the bookstore and they choose a book. People next to us look at me and say, "I can't believe that your children would pick a book over a toy?" I proudly say, "It's their most favorite thing in the world to do!" I know how you feel girlio!

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I wish I could get my girls to love books like that.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Kez said...

I totally agree! My son is only 5 and still at the stage where reading is hard work but he still loves to pick up a book. I'm hoping that continues - I always have my nose in a book so if example counts for anything... lol

4:11 PM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

That's so great! The ladies at the library always comment about how wonderful it is that our kids so happily pick out books to read. I guess when you figure 1 in 3 adults never reads another book after high school it is wonderful to see a child truly excited over reading.

7:03 AM  
Blogger chandra said...

Great Post!!That is so awesome. I am praying I can renew that love of reading in my kids too....the older two that is. They were also victims of "Accelerated Reading" in public school. Kristen is starting to read more and Aaron doesn't grimace at the word read now so we are making progress. I am so glad to see your children are loving books!!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh, they really are so cute! It is a familiar site, that is just the way we were when we were growing up. My mom could hardly tear us away from reading or get us to get out and get some fresh air when we had a good book to read. My younger sister was so in love with books that she was reading 600 page books at the age of 8! We called her Matilda, she looked like the girl who played her in the movie. I am glad so far my kids love books too!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Books are such a blessing! I love it when my kids read! Some I near have to threaten to get them to read and others threaten to get them to stop! Funny how different each one is! AR is a love hate program I agree. I try to set a good example of reading ... I can easily get lost in a book and become deaf and blind to the world around me {something I get from my mom}, but I notice that the habits of my husband also have a hefty influence on them... as in TV addict! Yeah for happy readers! :)

2:00 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Hey a book is worth it's weight in GOLD! :) Yay for new books.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home