My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 14, 2008

It's Hard To Say Goodbye!

As I pulled into the driveway one day last week, I had to slam on my brakes to avoid what first appeared to be a large rock. It was, in fact, a large turtle, well, large to us. I ran to the house to get the kids, who were all excited, but it was Carter's eyes that lit up the brightest. He was in love!! It wasn't long before I realized that letting it go wouldn't be as easy as walking away. The next thing I knew, the turtle was on our back deck, and Carter's eyes were full of tears that he was fighting back, as he struggled with watching it go. He convinced me to let him keep it for one night in a small aquarium. I worried and worried with how to help him let it go, then I got the idea to let his write his name and draw a picture of himself and the turtle on its shell. It's not so cruel, really :). It made Carter feel like it would always be his, and the turtle was no worse for it...he was just happy to be crawling away. So, if anyone out there ever happens upon a turtle with a very strange looking shell, well....just let it go. Carter will be waiting for it to find its way back home!

11 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

You're such a wonderful mom. (HUGZ)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Perri said...

What a great idea! We had a turtle (Freddie) a few years ago that we rescued from the middle of the road. He also just spent one night, but now every time the kids see a turtle they ask if it's Freddie. A little artwork would have gone a long way to answering that question.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

AWWWWWWWWWW! I loved every moment of this read! :)

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww....what an awesome idea to let him draw on the shell :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I would not have ever thought of that! Way to go!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

My SIL did something similar when her kids were younger.....they used nail polish to put a mark on their turtle's shell. So if they ever run across it again, they will know it's 'Theirs'.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ah, so cute! And that is a great idea. It would be hard to give up a sweet turtle, especially for a boy.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic post!! I now want to go find the turtle and bring it back to Carter!!

:)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Babydoll said...

Awwww...poor kid!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Euforbia said...

what a nice blog

1:21 AM  
Blogger Euforbia said...

good

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home