My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Before We Were Homeschoolers

When we decided to homeschool our children, there were many people who asked if I thought I would enjoy it and be able to handle it. I told them all the same thing...that I had been teaching my children since the day they were born. I have always loved learning with them and teaching them. They have always been curious, eager learners. I knew that I could do it because I had already been doing it unofficially for nine years.
I was looking through some of my old albums today and found some great pictures that were taken when my children were all still preschoolers. I had to smile when I remembered how much work we put into hatching out the little chicks in an incubator beside my bed. We got the incubator from my dad and the eggs from our neighbor down the road. We put an X on one side of each egg and turned them on a regular schedule. I'll never forget how excited we were when we could hear the chirps inside those eggs...not to mention the day that the little things started pecking their way out. The kids were amazed that from those eggs came all of these wonderful little black, fluffy chicks. It was such a great experience!








Next, I found a series of pictures that I took of baby birds hatching out in an old stroller on our deck. We were so excited to find a nest that we were able to see into. Every day we checked to see if the eggs had hatched. One day, we checked to find that the birds were hatching out! We got to see them come out of the eggs and open their little beaks for food. We watched them grow big enough to leave the nest and watched from the playroom window as they learned to fly for the first time.

















I loved reliving all of the old memories because they remind me of what I love the most about homeschooling...having the time for spontaneous lessons like these. Homeschooling isn't just a way to educate our children. It is a way of life...a life that I feel like we have been living since the day our first baby was born. It took us some time to realize that we could do it on our own....I'm so glad that we did!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Fatcat said...

It looks like you guys have always been homeschoolers!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Perfect, in every way!

I want to do the egg thing, but what do you do with them when they hatch and ready to be big chickens?

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome!! I truly admire those that homeschool. I don't think I could do it.

:)

6:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great pictures.....I just LOVE hearing your experiences! You are certainly a girl after my own heart! I totally agree that these everyday/life experiences are THE best way to learn! We done the chickens from eggs too.....also baby chicks in the incubator too. Fun! Fun!

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool experience!

Nature is awesome to observe.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Be Inspired Always said...

I truly admire people who homeschool. I might be apart of that community real soon.

What great ideas.



Thanks for the tips.

btw, I'm having a random drawing on my blog. make sure you stop on in.


Jillian

11:09 AM  
Blogger walking said...

I love sharing nature with my kids. I just wish I were as quick as you in snapping photos.

The other day my daughter and I were building a puzzle on the back porch. Two geckos joined us. The female was brown and camouflaged to match the wood on the porch. The male was trying to catch her eye, bright green with its ruby throat bubble out.

Another time we were on the back porch having popsicles my daughter had made out of orange juice. A ruby-throated hummingbird came within six inches of her face to check it out!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

What wonderful memories. I love moments like that.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home