My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Food From India

For our study of India, we found a recipe for Aloo Bonda. They are deep fried potato balls dipped in a spicy batter. I normally use instant potatoes when I cook, but chose to use real potatoes for this dish, so they would be thicker and easier to make into balls. The potatoes are mixed with seasonings and onions and them formed into balls that are dipped into batter. No, it was NOT an easy task...VERY MESSY!!We deep fried them until they were golden brown. I left the first batch in the fryer too long. This is how they turned out. All that was left was the outer crust...the potatoes all fell out into the grease! I always tell Madison that there's no way to mess up a craft project. Well, I took the same philosophy for this cooking project and tried a second batch...hey, any excuse to dig in the potatoes again! This time, we took them out as soon as they turned brown. Success!!
I really didn't think the kids or Jeff would like them, but we ate them all, including the messed up ones. They're a little too messy and time consuming to make often, but I'm sure I'll make them again.
Our next stop...Japan.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. They look really good :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

what a cool idea... they look good. I like tatters ... they're still a veggie even fried in MY book.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Gina Marie said...

For Japan you should try a very traditional snack - dried seaweed. Kids love it in Asia. You could probably find it at an Asian food store. It tastes like fish. I've tried to give it to my kids, but it's one of the things here that just didn't take. Seaweed's extremely healthy though. No wonder Asians are smaller!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Thanks Gina...you should know lots of suggestions for us!!! I will have to see if I can find that.
I know seaweed is healthy. I used to take the Limu with seaweed in it. True...it made me feel great with lots of energy, but it's so expensive.
THANKS for the note!!!!!!!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home