My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Voice From Katrina

On September 23, I posted the following letters from children in Canada to the victims of Katrina.
http://ourplaceourplace.blogspot.com/2007/09/two-years-ago.html
My intention in posting the letters was to reach those to whom they were intended...those who were and still are victims of Hurricane Katrina. I feel that, until they are read, I have failed the children that wrote them as well as those who they were written to.
A few days ago I received this reply to the post:

It is 2 a.m. in the house I am currently staying in. I have not had a house of my own since Katrina came and took it all away. I did a google search for Hurricane Katrina Canada, because I have applied for residency there and I am looking for some way to make it happen faster. I have spent my 6 months per year that I am allowed to be there in Ontario both years. When I tell people that I want to go home these days, it is Ontario that I am talking about. Now when people ask me why, I will show them this site. Thank you for posting this. Tonight I feel like it was just for me.

When I read this reply, a peace settled over me. I finally knew that at least some of the letters had reached someone that they were intended for. They reached this person when he/she really needed the encouragement. Two years after the hurricane, many of the victims feel forgotten. We like to think that everyone has found his/her way home or settled in a new home, but it isn't so. There are still those searching for a place to call home and longing for someone to listen...to encourage them...to care. I'm glad that, through these precious letters, I was able to be that person and to help the children who wrote them to be that person.
Whoever you are, thank you for the note. I pray that there will be many others like you who will read them and be encouraged!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

How wonderful! I know your heart must have jumped for joy! I remember reading all of those letters from those children. It was so great hearing this news.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Amy Plumb said...

That is great about your letters posted! I don't think these people will ever be forgot, they went though something so terrible.

We employed a guy who was displaced from the hurricane. He is still with us and his family is here with him. I believe they plan to stay here and make this their home.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That is cool, I hope find your post!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

more (missing word... that is what happens when you have helping fingers)

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home