My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, January 26, 2007

This Coat

This coat weighs heavily upon my back
But I love the coat
It is covered with stains and tears
yet, in a wonderful way...still beautiful...still needed

I hesitate to remove the coat
Even when the weather warms
and it screams to be removed
I cling to it

When I remove it....I long for it
Though it is heavy
My body floats above the burden
of carrying it...yet I long for it

Until once again
I relish in the comfort of it
clinging to it again
Unwilling to let it go

Sadness feels my heart to think of a day
When I will no longer wear this coat daily
Only for really cold days
As it will always be mine

I can already see...though distant as it may seem
A new coat....but not for me
I am , even now, fashioning it with my own hands
Agonizing over every stitch

And one day...when the time is right
This coat will be placed upon my daughter
And she, like me, will find comfort in the weight of it
And will learn to let it go...in her own way

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful Shery!

You're so talented! So, tell me because I'm the worst at figuring out the figurative meanings of things..is the coat motherhood?

I'm probably way off base but I love the poem anyway!

Jenn

10:27 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Yes, Jenn, Yes it is!!!!!!!!
I was so interested to see how people would interpret it. I almost put "on motherhood" under the title, but wanted to leave it for others to figure out...or interpret the way they wanted. It made me so happy to see that my meaning was conveyed. Thankyou so much for the sweet note!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sherry, this is absolutely beautiful!!!It seems like our girls will be grown and gone before we can even blink...time moves far too quickly when they are little...we had a great time talking with you all at the rodeo..hope we can get together some time soon!!! Melissa

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home