My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Getting Back To Work

It was hard to pick up the school books yesterday, but it went well. We didn't get up and get started as early as I thought we would, but we've gotten spoiled in the last few weeks. We'll have to get back into the routine of going to bed early and getting started in the morning! Once we got started, though, it really did feel good to be back on a schedule. The kids remember how it used to feel to go back to school after a long vacation before we started homeschooling. We are still new enough at this for them to appreciate where they are as compared to where they came from. They worked hard for me and finished their work early...it was a good day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina Marie said...

Sherri,

Can I ask what curriculum you're using? I think I've asked that before. I still don't feel like I'm in the groove so to speak. I am very drawn to the idea of unit studies, but it feels a little too unstructured at times. My son is very into science, which my daughter hates. She's my language arts kid. I'm trying to figure out how to make it interesting for both.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Gina,
We don't use a set curriculum. Here is what I am using this year:

Spelling: Houghton Mifflin for all three

Reading: The Story of the USA for Madison/Scott Foresman for the boys

English: ABEKA for all three(this is my first year to use ABEKA for anything.)

Science: I don't use a curriculum for Science. I write down all of the areas that I want to cover(I get these areas from our local schoolboard comprehensive curriculum) and find different books and sources for studying each one of them.

History: The Story of the USA for all three. They also get a lot of History from their Social Studies

Social Studies: McMillan/McGraw-Hill for all three

Writing: I use the 4-sqare method. I am able to get the 4-square workbooks from our local teacher's mart.

I teach them Science, History, and Social Studies all together. Everything else is separate. I'm glad that they are close enough in age that I can teach them those subjects together. Sometimes it is a little under Madison and sometimes a little over Carter's head, but it all evens out :).

Thanks for the note!

9:18 AM  
Blogger momof3feistykids said...

I'm glad you had such a good day! You sound about as eclectic as we are. :-)

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home