My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Wow...Narnia!

I have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia to my kids. It was recommended at my church to read the book before seeing it at the movies. I wondered why the church so supported the book...now I know. I don't even know how to write down the feelings that are in my heart from having finished this book tonight...reading it to Madison, Patrick and Carter. I knew early in the book that the Queen of Narnia depicted Satan. As we read the last few chapters tonight, I saw the story of Christ played out in the character of Aslan. It was so wonderfully written and so tore at my heart that my throat tightened as I fought tears to get through it. I didn't see Aslan as I read, I saw Christ being bound and beaten. I didn't see the character of Edmond, but myself, a sinner in need of salvation. The writer had me inside every character, as much as I could possibly have been.The greatest thing happened when Madison stopped me and said, "Mama, this sounds like the story of Christ." I was not going to point it out to them. I wanted it to be revealed to them....I needed them to see the correlation and they did. She and Patrick really got it. I am totally in awe at what C.S. Lewis created in The Chronicles of Narnia. I know that many will read it and only see the surface of what is there, but it is so much deeper than what the words say.
We are taking the kids to see the movie Saturday, and I so hope that it does the book justice. If not, I will be all the more glad that I read it to them first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home