My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Keep Your Body Straight...I Will Carry You Through!

Does God still speak to us today? My niece, Kinley, would say, "Yes, He does!" If so, is it audible. To Kinley, the voice was as real as the voice of her Mom or Dad talking to her.
May 15 started like any other day for my sister, Vicki, and her family. They woke up, ate breakfast, got dressed, and started the day like every other. The only difference was the scene outside their front door when they got up that morning.








Three of the children went off to school while Vicki began her morning routine with Landon, her five year old son. Within the hour, the school was closed for the day due to the flooding, sending Vicki's kids home excited and ready to play in their new "front yard pond"! As in awe as her children over the scene, Vicki was right there with them, taking pictures and playing.







Who wouldn't have done the same thing? Didn't we all play in a ditch at one time or another growing up? How much more exciting and enticing to have an entire yard to "swim" in?!? For Vicki and her family, this excitement soon turned into terror...for in the blink of an eye...Kinley was missing. One minute she was laughing and exploring...the next minute she could not be found. Panic ensued as everyone froze in place, unsure of where to look and how to find Kinley in the strange water that had become their front yard....everyone, that is, but Vicki. She ran. She ran towards the last place she had seen Kinley. She ran towards something that was unimaginable, yet inevitable. She had her eye on the culvert that was at that very moment, draining her yard to the ditch on the other side of the road...that had, without a doubt, sucked Kinley in. She ran towards it knowing in her heart that Kinley could not possible fit through it. She ran towards it knowing that she would go in to save her baby, even if it meant that she never came out.
God had other plans. Chills cover my body everytime I recall her description of how she fell on the way to that culvert..."It was as if I ran into a wall...as if someone tripped me." As she struggled to get up, she heard God whisper, "No, stay away. I've got her!" As Vicki regained her footing and stood up, she saw Kinley shoot out of the culvert and into the ditch on the other side of the road. Vicki doesn't remember getting from that point to the moment when she touched Kinley...pulled her from the water and stared into her bloodshot eyes and terror stricken face. Her baby girl was alive....God carried her through that tunnel as sure as he had told Kinley that he would.








Today, Kinley doesn't remember very much about her journey through that culvert, but during those first moments after being saved, she was able to recall in chilling details what happened.
Drawn to a spot in the water that looked as if it were a whirlpool, Kinley walked over to explore it. Immediately, it sucked her under. She came up long enough to yell "help me" before being taken under again. She remembered being pulled into the culvert and hanging onto the rim of it, as anyone would have done. Most 9 year olds, I believe, would have struggled at the entrance of that culvert, hanging on for dear life until life slipped from them. This is what Kinley was doing when she heard God speak, "Don't fight it. Just keep your body straight, and you will come out the other side." As she allowed her fingers to slip away, she also let go of all control over her body and her life. Instead of clinging to her life, she cleaved to God and His promise. Halfway through the dark tunnel, she recalled slowing down to a near stop while a bright light flooded the darkness. In her mind, the light was an indication that she was nearing the end of the tunnel. In retrospect, she understands that her face was turned away from the exit and her eyes were closed. She would not have seen a light from the outside world, even if she were in reach of it.
God was in that culvert with Kinley, his presence filling it with light and hope. As Kinley reached the exit, her feet were blocked by debris. As she lifted her feet up, her body shot out of the darkness, reborn into her mother's arms...a mother whom God held back so He could deliver her baby to her.
Kinley is alive and with her family today because God delivered her. It was not merely good fortune or luck that saved her. Does God still speak to us today?
Ask Kinley.

18 Comments:

Blogger Perri said...

What an awesome ending to a story that could have ended so differently. Praising God with you for saving Kinley.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've came here through Perri's blog... And I am now crying. Praise the LORD!!! \o/

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Sherri, thanks for the tears this morning! And it reminded me of a story I would love for you to tell Kinley!

When Matthew and I were first married and I was about a month pg with Eli his sister had her drivers permit. We were driving to the mall in my hometown in Florida and Erin was the driver. She had wanted me to sit with her in the passenger seat and I had told her no, Matthew should because I just didn't feel right sitting up front for some reason.

Well...we are driving and she is stopped at a left turning signal that is RED but the other two lanes beside us where green, we could go forward but we couldn't turn until the turn light turned green.

She was a new driver and make a mistake and kept going. A truck from the other direction was coming straight at us and hit us at almost full speed! He had been speeding and when Erin darted out in front of him he slowed to the "normal" speed just in time to hit us!

I remember looking at the truck coming at us and knowing it was going to hit Matt or myself and everything slowed down and I heard a voice as clear and as DAY! It was very firm but not a shout, I knew who it was! It said, "Lay down and cover your face as much as possible, it's okay".

I obeyed, and then the world sped up again and the truck make contact right BETWEEN Matthew's door and my door! We were pushed, smoke was everywhere, and items, glass where pounding me from every direction!

When I sat up I saw NO windows, they were gone. My husband was OUT. It was foggy from the airbags and I couldn't believe I was alive.

I lifted myself out of the car window, checked on Matt who wasn't all there, I ran to the car in front of us and told him to call 911 NOW!

My sis in law is out of the car now and she is fine. A couple sits her down and by this point Matthew is awake and getting out of the car with assistance.

I look over at the spot I had left Erin and she is GONE! I can't find her!

After a time she is back and we are loading up in the ambulance...Erin is crying and screaming sorry over and over.

We tell her it is okay. She says did you all see that sweet old black woman? She came and sat with me and held me and told me it was all going to be okay.


We are like NO! She says no! She was there, you had to have seen her! She was wearing an old flowery dress and she was really old.

I promise you when I say this, that I was unreally in that moment. I KNEW what was going on! I left erin in a spot in clear sight. She was GONE, she says she never moved! AND the only 3 people who got out of those cars were an older couple and a older man, both white, and a student midwife of all things (which is what made me come to midwifery) who stayed with me while I worried about my baby. They sat with us the whole time. Erin says that this old woman sat with her the WHOLE time! I had kept an eye on her and Matt back and forth the whole time. Erin was just magically there when we got Matthew sat down on the grass beside her.

The people helping us were upset and near panic but she recalls this woman as calm and just SURE and CONVICTED that everything would be OKAY! Kept telling Erin while she sobbed that it was all okay. We have all come to KNOW that she was an angel there for Erin. Erin never moved...but for a time she was sheltered in this woman's embrace and showered with her calm words of truth!

We walked away from a car that everyone could not believe we walked away from! Blood was everywhere from matthew. a huge piece of glass came within a HAIR of his main blood vessel in his neck. It would take months for all of the glass to be removed. He had to go back several times as his body pushed the glass outwards. It was unreal!

I had but one torn spot on my hand from all the mess flying around in the car. It scarred and it reminds me of my day when I KNOW I heard God. He commanded me to do something and it was unlike any other time in my life. It was clear and powerful...I had no other option but to listen! God saved me...if I had stayed up and had not lowered myself as far to the ground and huddled there with my front covered...I don't know!

We all three share a bond from that day. And we talk of it when we are all three together.

It was our miracle...we WALKED away from that war zone untouched but for Matthew's glass and stuff. He had the worst. Everyone was so scared they had thought we were DEAD it was so bad!

I have since had it confirmed for me in many ways that we were not lucky...we were blessed that day. God does speak...and when he must he does it in a way we don't normally hear him. It is powerful!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That story is amazing. It is like the Footprints in the Sand writing - In the times when you only see one set of footprints, He did not forsake you, it was then that he carried you! Praise God your neice is okay. I can just imagine your sister's fear. I am so glad Kinley listened to God speak that day. Thank you for sharing her testimony! I hope one day, she will also tell her testimony!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing account! Praise God!! Thanks for the tears this afternoon. :) It's truly amazing.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

The tears were falling as I read this story Sherri. I could barely read it to the end from all of the tears. Praise God that she is alive and as beautiful as ever. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Fatcat said...

Wow!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

sherri, you have inspired me!! what an amazing story, and more of these stories people should take about rather than bad stories. i really wasn't going to post a "superwoman" story, but you have inspired me to write one about my mom, a true survior, a true superwoman, for she has been thourgh alot and i think she is he one and only superwoman!! keep posting great stories!!

2:54 PM  
Blogger junglemama said...

Wow! What a story!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God!!!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is truly amazing, Sherri! I'm so thankful your family was saved a tragedy because your niece listened to God's voice. {{{big hugs}}} to all of you!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I also followed Perri's blog here and am again reminded of our Awesome God!!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Amazing! I am in tears!

11:09 AM  
Blogger chandra said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It only takes a second for something to happen, but thank God, sometimes, he gives us a second chance but most of all....thank Him for being right there with us, no matter what happens!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

That is the most amazing story. And you have a gift in writing it and sharing it with the rest of us. Thank you.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Awesome.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..Sherri..that was beautiful,thank you for sharing this inspirational story,praise God!
Chantal

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home