My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, July 04, 2008

Fireworks, Jello, Family Reunion, and Grilling

Our family had to go separate ways today. We had planned to go to Jeff's Dad's family reunion all together, but Jeff had to take Madison and Patrick without Carter and me. We have both had sore throats with fever and coughing. It was hard to see them go, but I was just glad that my father-in-law would still have some of us there with his family. Also, I knew that Madison and Patrick would have a great time there. They always have fun water toys and slides to keep the kids cool and happy!








Carter was sad when I told him that we would have to miss the reunion, so I made it my goal, even though we were both sick, to make sure that he had a great day as well. We went to the store this morning to buy the stuff to make little patriotic jello desserts as well as strawberry shortcake. We also bought the juice and soda needed to made a cool patriotic drink. Thanks to http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/SchoolinRhome (School at Our Home) for posting this great idea!








We also bought some supplies to make little red, white, and blue windsocks. On the way home, we stopped at a firework stand and bought a small bag of "daytime" fireworks to pop during the day. Instead of being sad for missing out on all of the fun, Carter kept saying how happy he was to spend the day alone with me! I guess he doesn't get that very often. Oh, and we found "Dipping Dots", only made by a different company, at the grocery store. This is something that we always look for on vacation and usually spend too much eating...they are so expensive. Well, not anymore! This new brand, "Lil Bitz", tastes exactly like Dipping Dots. They are affordable and within reach! Yes, needless to say, we had some today!
Carter was so proud of the desserts that we made for the rest of the family. We didn't get around to making our windsocks because we spent so much time in the kitchen and outside popping our fireworks. Yes, we also did some resting since we are both trying to get well.
















I surprised Jeff by offering to get the grilling started before he made it home. This is significant because I've never done the grilling on my own before. I felt like I was walking a little taller after having conquered that grill!! Now, it's on! There's no telling what I might find to throw on that thing now.
Jeff and the kids brought home more fireworks, so we popped them after dinner...quickly before the rain could ruin our fun! When we finished, we used our star cookie cutter to make "jigglers" out of some jello I had left over from our dessert. It wasn't as easy as they make it look on TV, but it never is :)! We still had fun doing it and ate every bite of it...with MORE Cool Whip.















Even though we had to split up for part of the day, we all had a wonderful 4th and was able to come back together and enjoy a fun evening. At one point today, I heard Carter telling Madison and Patrick how it is amazing that around a couple hundred years ago, on this date, that America was declaring independence. I felt so happy and excited at that moment knowing that my kids really "get" what this holiday is about...and appreciate it. It's great to pop fireworks and eat yummy food all day, but it means nothing if we forget what we are celebrating!

10 Comments:

Blogger Perri said...

Looks like you had a great day - sickness aside. Carly has it, too, so her day was spent on the couch doing nothing.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Hurray for spending time with your son and making yummy desserts and drinks. Hurray for tackling the grill (something I have to yet to try). Hurray for the family having fun on the fourth and knowing of its importance. Boo on feeling sick. Feel well soon.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Sounds like you all had a great day. the desserts look yummy and very festive.
Robby also told me that the 4th wasn't about fireworks it was about freedom!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I hope that you two are feeling better. What a wonderful day to spend with your son and so much fun! I loved all of ths photos and everything looks so yummy! I tackled the grill for the first time last summer and even though my husband is the "master griller" in the house, I have to say that I didn't do half bad. Good for you for giving it a try. I love cooking in the great outdoors. So glad to hear that your Independence Day was a blast!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

LOVE THE PICS!! GIRL, YOU MUST HAVE GOTTEN OVER THAT FEVER QUICK! I COULD NOT BE OUTSIDE LIKE THAT IF I WAS RUNNING FEVER!! LOL LOOKS LIKE YALL HAD FUN! WE HAD A BLAST, GREAT BASEBALL FUN, IN THE SUN!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Danielle,
Actually we weren't out in the sun. The only time Carter and I went outside was to pop our few fireworks, which we did in the shade. I did start the grilling, but that wasn't something that kept me out in the sun either.
We are doing better, except for my couch, which I can't get rid of ;(!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the creative foods! I am sure they were yummy, but also perfect for the holiday!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

It looks like you expanded your deck?

What a great day you all had! :)

I am a dippin' dots snob, cause I grew up with one in reach at all times. Hee hee...I will not comment on the ones from the store. hee hee...

12:47 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Chelita,
Nope, our deck is the same as it has been...it goes from our playroom door to the end of the house....and over to the pool on the end.

Really, I thought the dots from the store were like the Dippin Dots. Maybe I haven't had enough of them to be a good judge :)!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Dana Leeds said...

Looks like a great celebration! The desserts look so yummy!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home