My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What Is It About Fall?

Everything feels different when fall approaches.
Sunday night I was in my car..on the way home from somewhere...and suddenly had the urge to roll down my windows and turn up the 80's/today's hits mixdown that was playing on the radio. I actually just wanted to ride around and enjoy the breeze moving through the car and just listen and feel.
I woke up this morning to sunshine pouring down over my yard. It could be any summer morning with all of the sunshine, but it isn't. It has a certain "feel" to it. The trees look different....like they are more alive and able to absorb and enjoy the sun instead of being beaten down by it. It makes me want to run out there and be a part of it!
Someone was burning a brush pile last week. At just the slightest whiff of it, we were all ready to put up our tent and make our own little bonfire. I wanted to fill the tent with sleeping bags in anticipation of snuggling down in them to face a frigid night and damp morning.
I want to bake. I made cookies last night and bought all sorts of other things to help us put on that extra winter weight :).

Speaking of baking, Anne from http://annebradshaw.blogspot.com/ asked me to post the recipe for my double layer pumpkin pie.
4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 TBSP milk
1TBSP sugar
1 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip
1 graham pie crust
1 cup cold milk
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
2 packages Jello-vanilla flavored instant pudding & pie filling
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

MIX: Cream cheese, 1 TBSP milk, and sugar/Gently stir in the whipped topping. Spread on bottom of crust.

POUR: 1 cup cold milk into bowl and add pumpkin, pudding mixes, and spices. Beat (mixture will be thick). Spread over the cream cheese layer.

REFRIGERATE: 4 hours
Anna, let me know how it turns out for you. We love it!

So, even though we still have some warm days ahead of us and can never really anticipate true winter weather here in the South, we still have our fall. It has a certain magic to it for me...like no other season. I know that spring is supposed to be the time for bringing things to life, but I always feel like I am coming to life in the fall. There's just something about being released from the heavy weight of heat and humidity that drags everyone down in the summer, like the leaves that are finally free to fall to the ground.

I love summer with the lazy days and water fun.
I love winter...the little that we get.
I love the surprise of spring when I once again remember how green things can be.

But there's just SOMETHING about fall!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, I too wanted the details, sounds YUMMY and I will give it a try!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Ok, it has cream cheese, that recipe has to be oh so yummy!

I agree, there's a certain feel to fall. Maybe the lengthening shadows, the weather getting cooler? I love it!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

MMM! Definitely a recipe we will have to try in our home. We are looking for signs of fall here too. We haven't found much, but there is something in the air that tells us that it is near. I can't wait to get the kids out for a camping trip!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

OK, I'm definitely going to try that pie. My mouth waters just reading the recipe.
Our co-op lasts all year and is actually something that you have to "apply" for and be accepted, so once you join, you agree that you're going to be there every Friday. Most of the moms seem to try to keep things active and fun.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home