My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Glass Castle

I started reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls today. I usually hear about interesting books from my book forums or from friends, but I just happened to see this one as I was browsing the book store one day. It sounded like something I would like to read, but I chose not to get it. Since then, I keep going back to it when trying to decide what to read, so I finally got it.
I very rarely stop a book before finishing it, but have done it with the last two that I have attempted to read. I am so tired of shallow, "go nowhere" books. I don't quit reading them as much for the lack of plot or their ability to keep me interested, as I do for the poor quality of writing. Even a book with a less than interesting plot can keep me sucked in if the writing is truly good. I've heard that The Glass Castle is not only interesting, but is written well. This is what I am hoping for. If anyone has read it, I would love to hear what you thought about it. If you are the type of reader that cherishes really good writing, I would love for you to let me know what you thought of Jeannette Walls' writing in this book. I'll share what I thought of it when I'm finished. I started on it today and can safely say that it isn't going to be one that I put down early!

2 Comments:

Blogger PLAIN KIDS said...

My book club read this book, and it was by far our best discussion. I read this book on a weekend trip - I couldn't put it down! We were all amazed at the lack of feeling that she put into her revelation of the past. It was so matter-of-fact. She seemed to carry little biterness.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this book -- it was one of my favorite reads of this past year.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home