My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm No Wonder Woman!

Do you remember those TV moms that always had it all together....Mrs. Beaver and Mrs. Brady? What about the "bring home the bacon" mom in her sexy clothes with supper made and a happy man...remember her?






Oh wait a minute! We don't have to turn on the TV to see these pretend moms because they surround our every day lives. I'm not being sarcastic...just realistic. Really, we all know the woman who loves to portray to others that she is perfect and has it all together. Just in case my name came to any one's mind (not as someone perfect but as someone who tries to portray it), let me set the record straight.
I have nothing to prove to anyone. I am not PERFECT at anything.
We love instant potatoes in my house. They make the best potato salad and do not involve standing at the sink peeling the real things.
Jiffy cornbread tastes so much better than the homemade stuff!
I'm cooking a nice big roast tonight, complete with potatoes, onions, and carrots. I might add that I found it all together in a Tyson kit with all of the vegetables cut up and ready to cook....wonderful. I'm sure it will be quite tasty, and hey, the vegetables are real!
A wet rag swiped around the sink does a great job of making the bathroom look freshly cleaned until I can get around to pulling out my cleaning supplies.
I hate to mop.
My car gets dirty.
My clothes pile up and sometime take a few days to make it from their folded piles in the laundry room to their respective closets/drawers.
Our dog doesn't get taken out at 7:00 sharp every morning and sometimes runs out of treats and has to settle for cereal for a couple of days.
We have a bowflex and an elliptical trainer in our playroom. I can't believe how well they toned up my arms and legs. It's really too bad that the results aren't still obvious a year after I quit using them.
My kids watch TV every day, play video games often, swim in the rain, sometime go outside in the evenings without bug spray, go trick or treating and keep their Halloween candy in their rooms, and don't take as many baths in the summertime because it doesn't make sense to bathe after 8 hours in the pool.








I often forget to call my friends for a long time or never return their calls.

Does all of this mean that I am not a good person, wife, mother, or friend?
You choose.
If you ask Jeff and the kids they will tell you that no one cooks as well as I do. It is irrelevant to them what methods I choose. I know Jeff will be very thankful that I picked the celery out of the vegetable mix that came with my boxed roast and threw it all into the garbage...he hates celery!
Most people say that my house is always neat and clean....okay, then I must be doing something right...if not perfect.








Ginger is probably one of the happiest dogs alive. She has three children who play with her every day and fight over who will sleep with her every night. She lives with people who know that when she looks at them a certain way that she needs to go out...then she gets to run around and play until she is ready to come back to the door and be let in. She might run out of treats sometimes, but it's because she gets them for doing almost anything. She's happy and loves us as much...no, more....than anyone who might claim to be a perfect dog owner.
No, I don't look like a body builder, but I know how to drop a few pounds when I need to, and I haven't had to go out and buy bigger clothes. As a matter of fact, I wear a smaller size than I did when I got married. I guess taking care of a family and home do more to keep a woman in shape than any exercise equipment or diet out there!

I have a lot of friends. They are all mothers and wives too, so they understand that I will call them when I can. We all know and understand this about one another....that's why we are friends.
My children have not shown any signs of violent behavior or rebellion as a result of their TV watching and video game playing. Luckily, their mosquito bites have only caused ugly red marks and itchy nights. They still have all of their teeth, and we haven't gone broke from dental procedures. As for the "pool baths"........they are just one of the wonderful things about summertime...no harm done!
Loosen up women! If the cameras had followed those TV moms home, we would have seen plenty of short cuts, unhealthy snacks, cluttered floors, and......well, REAL LIFE!!!
Let it be known...............................
I HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have quite often wondered if i was the only one who 'forgot' to bathe the children in the summer.

I mean really water is water right?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

Hear here! Excellent, excellent, wonderful post!

But these instant potatoes you speak of that make potato salad... I'm only aware of instant MASHED potatoes and I can't figure out how those make potato salad. Can you buy pre-cut-up potatoes?

As for me, I do make mashed potatoes from potatoes I cut up but only because Jamie hates instant ones. But, I don't peel them. We buy red potatoes just so I don't have to peel them. I'm with you on hating to mop. Our van has been cleaned out well once since we bought it in 2005. I still haven't put away the clothes I washed on Tuesday (they are folded!). Baths, well, usually my kids take them when they feel like it which is sometimes twice a day and sometimes twice a month. I'm terrible at returning calls, too. We got rid of voicemail because of that.

Guess it means we're normal lol

8:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw a comment you left on someone's blog about a delicious sounding pumpkin pie, so came on over here to check it out--but can't find it. I'd really love to have that if you care to blog about it and let me know :-) Thanks. Pumpkin is my favorite.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Robin Green said...

You know what? I love this post. You are right on the money with it--why do we care so much about the way we appear? Thanks a bunch for posting--and my kids watch tv and eat candy too--in their rooms!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Robin Green said...

Oh--I came to your site to tell you that my mother passed away when I was young too. She died of cancer 20 years ago, when I was 19. I'm so sorry you lost your mom.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sherri, Madison, Carter, & Patrick,
Hello, I was searing off in cyberspace and found your blog. I found myself reading forever about how the kids were doing. Give them all a hug from me. I love your writings, you do it so well.
love,
Michele Palowsky

8:49 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I've thought it would be interesting to meet a real mom from that era to see if women really were like that back then--maybe it was just the unrealistic image portrayed on t.v. Goodness knows I wouldn't want people 20 years from now to think all women were like those on Desperate Housewives :)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Gilit Frank said...

Congratulations on your honorable mention. I am glad to hear that you don't mind not working as an OT. It's hard for me to imagine homeschooling my son as he is much smarter than me and could educate me!

Gilit

10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE YOU! I hate that women try to portray themselves as perfect...my blog is all about showing people how imperfect I am!

Congrats on your honorable mention.

P.S. my husband hates celery too...is that wierd, or is it just me?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Sounds like you've got it all together . . . !

6:04 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Congrats on honorable mention hon! You're such a great mom and a wonderful person!

6:28 AM  
Blogger nellbe said...

Wonderful post, congrats on the honorable mention.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

I wonder what the women from 20 years in the future will think of all us moms? I hope we have made it so there is less pressure for them. Don't you?

Great post!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

HOW did I miss this GREAT post! Amen sister amen! :)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home