My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, July 13, 2007

I Didn't Sign Up For This!!!

There were a lot of things that I knew I was getting into when I gave birth to my three sweet little babies. Among those were cook, housekeeper, nurse, Dr., counselor, teacher, etc. The one thing that I didn't think about was how often I would have to serve as the referee for the endless fights and disagreements between my babies....babies who are now grown children with strong opinions , wants, and needs. There are days when they get up in the morning just happy to be alive and growing up together. Then, there are days like today when even the simplest thing will turn into an argument. I woke up this morning ready to fill this house up with friends and just enjoy the day together. However, it seems that for every step we take forward toward getting along we are thrown twenty steps back. "sigh"
This one got in the pool when someone else wanted to swim alone.
He broke my toy.
Such and such shut the door on my toe.
He said the donuts were his.
She's bossing the rest of us.
He won't give me my box (no, I'm not exaggerating..they were fighting over a box).
Do you ever feel like you are on a reality show where the entertainment goal is to see how much you can tolerate without losing it? When the fights are over legitimate things, I can handle it a little better, but when it is like today I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. All they have to do is play together...come when I call them to eat...play some more...and GET ALONG.
I absolutely, positively do not enjoy the referee role. On days like today, I start out trying to stay calm and turn each argument into a teaching opportunity...be more patient with one another....ask for forgiveness...always forgive...share...stay out of the other's arguments....be nice...etc. Then, I just want it to STOP.
I think it is appropriate that up until now the weather has been picture perfect..sunshine as we haven't see it in days..beautiful. Now, the sun is gone and the rain is POURING down. That explains exactly the direction that the day has gone....and my mood!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you! I just finished breaking up an argument as well (one of many for this week). Hope it gets better for you!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Thanks Lauren...it's good to know that everyone has this kind of day sometimes.
It did get better. I separated my three into different rooms and sent the neighbor, Josh, home. Then, I separated myself from them too..haha. We pulled through it...it was just one of those days!!!
Thanks for the note.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Robin Green said...

I'm so sorry--that is the worst thing about having kids, imho. I hope things have gotten better.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home