My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Inspired

I've been think a lot lately about how we influence our children to do the things that we enjoy. I think this is great, however, I also think that it limits our children if we do not encourage them to also try the things that we don't pursue. For instance, because I love to write, I encourage my children to do it often. We have days set aside in school to write certain things...paragraphs, biographies, letters, journal entries, etc. Yesterday, I was reading some of the homeschooling blogs that I have in my favorites, and I came across a post by Dana, a homeschooling mom of a 1st grader (http://alexml.blogspot.com/2007/03/tulip-mania-still-life-of-van-huysum.html). I am so impressed with how she, not only encourages her children to draw, but does it herself. She provides things for them to paint and teaches them about different painters and artists. She's discovering what she enjoys creating as well. Coincidentally, while at the library last night, Madison checked out some drawing books. She sat around with the books and paper for a long time last night. Finally, I joined her. I grabbed some paper and pencils and took a chance on what I could do. Well, I enjoyed it. Here's my finished picture.This morning, Madison picked her drawing stuff up again. She's putting all of her drawings into a binder to keep. She inspires me to draw more just because she's so excited about it. Here is her bird picture.Thank you, Dana, for inspiring me to do something new. Madison has often sat outside with her pad and pencils to draw, but I have never wanted to join her. Now, I see why she enjoys it so much!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dana Leeds said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Dana Leeds said...

Hi, Sherri. I am so glad that my blog and my experience with art has inspired you! That, I think, is one of highest callings I can serve through my blog - inspiring others.

Plenty of other bloggers have inspired me. In fact, yours did today! As much as I've been learning to love during art with my dd (and our friends), I was still afraid to try drawing - specifically birds! And, we're just getting ready to start a bird unit AND I'm trying to incorporate more CM into our life. But, I thought drawing birds would be too hard, so I'd just stick with photographing them. But, you've inspired me to give it a try! And, I think you should be very proud of your bird (and your dd's!) - great job! (And, can you tell us the name of the book that you drew it from?)

Thanks again, and a big thank you for letting me know that you were inspired!!!

Dana

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I think you both have some talent. I am not much of an artist at all! You are right, though. I do need to provide my children with opportunities to succeed in art related fields even if I may not! Thanks!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Dana....Wow! How cool that I could inspire you to try to draw the birds. I think you would do a great job!!! If I can do it..someone with no drawing experience...then I can imagine that yours will be awesome. The book that we are using is titled, "A Kid's Guide to Drawing America". There are differnt books in the series. We have the one on Louisiana's symbols and Washington's sights and symbols. So, it isn't just birds. However, they probably have one of just birds. The author is Aileen Weintraub. I wish that I could just sit and look at a bird or a picture of one and draw it, but I still need the steps that this book takes me through. Have fun!!

Lauren....You are such a faithful blogging buddy! Thanks for your note. I'm sure Dana appreciates the kind comment too!

10:00 PM  
Blogger momof3feistykids said...

Wow! I think you have discovered a real gift for art. Your bird sketch is wonderful.

http://steph-roomofmyown.blogspot.com/

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home