My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Homemade Toys

Remember the toys we used to make for ourselves growing up....the breadsack kites, barbie furniture out of anything, bicycle motors out of sticks, etc.? I don't think children have to use their imaginations enough today. They have so many toys within their reach that they rarely have to come up with some imaginative solution for something that they want, therefore, it's exciting to see when it does happen. My boys are very into Pokemon action figures right now. Last summer it was Yugio..this summer Pokemon. I brought out some Model Magic today that I had bought a couple of weeks ago and forgot about. I was amazed to see what they did with it. We've used it in school before to make bugs and things that we are studying, but I was interested to see what they would do with it on their own. Well, the boys had a blast making their own Pokemon figures. They would pull up the Pokemon picture on their video game and then use it as a model. They looked great! Madison made a small model of the earth. She's excited because it bounces like a ball....Model Magic is cool stuff!
Later today, Madison and I made a kite out of a small trash bag. She didn't seem to think that it would work, but it did. I told her that we used to do it all the time with bread bags. We tied string to it and and put a small stick through the spool...like kite string. It didn't go very high, but flew like a kite! I always felt like making the stuff was half the fun....the kids seemed to think so today too.

4 Comments:

Blogger My Blog said...

I must be too young to remember bread bag kites, but Silly Putty and Hot Wheel were the thing. However, together, they were not a good combo.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boys did an awesome job!! I should do the bread bag kite with my daughter this Spring. I am sure she'd love it!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

How fun! It is wonderful to see kids using their imaginations.

9:34 PM  
Blogger momof3feistykids said...

That is SO cool! Thank you for your kind comments.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home