My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's Time For Christmas!









We have celebrated Carter and Patrick's birthdays for the past three weeks. Now, it is time to celebrate the birth of Jesus! For the boys, I hung paper chains and balloons. For Jesus, we put up our tree. We filled it with as many lights as we could to remind ourselves that Jesus is the light of the world. Our mantle and sofa table are filled with greenery, which symbolizes the new life that we have in Jesus Christ. I want my kids to think of Jesus during His special time. Yes, Santa comes to our house, and we enjoy the secular side of the holiday. However, we never want it to outshine the real reason for the season.
We had a wonderful time getting our home ready for Christmas. Madison and Jeff put the tree up together. Then, we all decorated it while enjoying hot chocolate and our first Christmas music of the year. Afterwards, we lit a fire in the fireplace and roasted weiners for hotdogs. As is tradition in our family, the kids slept on the floor last night. We snuggled them into their sleeping bags and put The Polar Express on for them to watch. I thought it was the perfect end to a wonderful day together.
Some may say that I make too big a deal out of this day, but it means a lot to me. I know that it will not always be as big a deal to my kids to put the tree up as it is now. They expect certain things from this day....what they expect, they will remember. I only have one chance to make the most of these moments. I will not look back and wish that I had!

5 Comments:

Blogger Quinn said...

You had some great ideas. We put up our tree as well this past weekend. THe birthdays also start this week.

10:33 AM  
Blogger momof3feistykids said...

I LOVE the way you describe the religious symbolism of everything you do with the kids. Your love for Jesus really shines through your post. :-)

For the computer art, James just used Microsoft Paint (that thingie that's on the "accessories" panel on the PC).

2:08 PM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

"I only have one chance to make the most of these moments. I will not look back and wish that I had!"
This gave me goosebumps when I read it!! What an awesome outlook on doing things and building traditions with family!
We put up our decorations over the weekend and finished the tree today. When Reilly was giving me my before-bed hug, she said, "I loved putting up the tree with you, Mom."

11:00 PM  
Blogger JakesMom said...

Sherri, you have such a beautiful family! You should be very proud.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Gina Marie said...

Another great idea! I really want to start some more solid traditions now that my kids are old enough to remember them. When I was little, my family made a big deal about the decorating. My husband doesn't like to help much (which is unusual because he's got a great servant's heart) so it ends up being me and the kids. This year I really didn't put much effort in because we have a fake tree and I'm sick of it! My kids ended up doing a lot of the decorating.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home