My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Own Nature Show?

Well, I guess technically I couldn't do a nature show since I killed the animal of interest. Yes, I did...and all of the children were there to witness it!!!Patrick and his cousin were crossing the back yard on the way to the grandparent's when I heard them scream, "snake". It was lying right out in the open..they almost stepped RIGHT ON THE THING. My first thought was that it was the same harmless kind we have been seeing....black with yellowish green stripes down it. Well, it wasn't. It was a different kind and I just couldn't be sure that it wasn't poisonous. Of course, ALL 7 kids had run out there by that time...curious as they are. After debating on whether to kill it or not, my friend went for the shovel. After three tries, I finally caught it in the middle. So picture this if you will. The snake starts CLIMBING the shovel handle and STRIKING at me. I didn't know how far it could get with what body was not pinned under the shovel, but I had my body as far away from the handle of that shovel as I could without letting go. I was afraid that if I let go, it would come after me. It was hot out there...had started raining, and I was sweating like it was the end of the world!! My friend finally had the sense to run back to the shed for the AXE. (Let me remind you at this point that the kids are all watching and screaming...very dramatic). She comes back and saves me....took her a couple of tries to hit the head, but it was a goner after the first swing of the axe.
I'm sorry to say that it was only a chicken snake...the others that we have been seeing around our decks are grass snakes. I just didn't know if it was poisonous and couldn't leave it out there. I feel pretty sure that this will be one of my children's earliest memories.....me with that shovel and the snake crawling up the handle striking. My friend with the axe saving my life and everyone sreaming like the world was coming to an end...all over a chicken snake. "sigh" I do wish we could sometimes rewind our lives to watch. I guess this is what happens when you live in the country. We have seen no less than 10 snakes so far...3/4 of them on or around our decks. I think it is time to put some more moth balls out. Evidently, I am a lot more successful with chasing the things away than I am at killing them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Tara!!!
Girl, you should have been there with us....we would have laughed about that for years!
What in the world are you going to do with 13 kittens? Have you been able to give any of them away yet? A friend of ours tried to give us one last week. I'm just not ready for that!
We need to get together soon.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

SO FUNNY! Can we call you Steve Erwin instead of Sherri now? (You know, the Croc Hunter from Animal Planet?) You KNOW that your kids will be talking to THEIR kids about "The time Mom killed a snake"!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Kathy,
I don't think I know who this is....unless it is my cousin Kathy. I tried to visit your Blog, but it won't take me to it. Is this you, cuz?

12:51 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

Ha ha! They will remember this! I have my own two snake memories, involving my mother, banked in my brain. :)

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home