My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bread Mold Contest Results

It looks like Madison won the contest! Her bread has the most mold on it, but we also found some interesting things on the other bread!
There are five common types of bread mold. I think that we managed to grow some of each.
Here is Madison's bread..the winner.
She has black mold on the top. Along the bottom there is the green mold with the white edges. Then, there is the brownish/yellow(peanut butter looking) mold in the middle.
Here is Patrick's bread. He also has some of the greenish/gray mold with white edges as well as the brownish/yellow mold. He didn't get any of the black mold on his.
Carter grew the strangest of all of the mold. He had some cool yellow mold, but the most interesting was the hair-like mold growing off of the side of the bread. I have researched and found some that looks a little like it, but not exactly.
I have saved the most interesting for last.....mine! Why is it the most interesting? Well, see for yourselves!!!
My bread grew absolutely, positively NOTHING!!! That's what I get for bragging ahead of time that I would grow the most mold. I have no idea why mine didn't grow anything. I moistened it and added sugar just like Madison did. I had it in a dark, moist place. It was still so fresh today that we could have had it for lunch!!! I guess I came in last place!!
Now I have the nasty job of making slides with each type of mold. We are going to look at them under the microscope to try and figure out exactly what types they are. At least my bread will be easy to work with!!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

Wow you got more mold on your bread than we ever got on ours. Cool! LOL, you know your a homeschooler when you see moldy bread and say "cool" instead of "ewww" Have fun making your slide. Your kids are gonna enjoy viewing them. My girls enjoyed every minute of it.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

That is some cool looking mold. But how incredibly weird that yours grew nothing!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Carter's bread makes me feel sick!! That is so weird that your bread had NOTHING on it...hmmmm. I think somebody switched out your bread LOL.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

Wow!! That is some cool looking mold!!! That's odd that your's didn't grow anything.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Wow! Gross, but neat-o! lol

That's so weird that your bread didn't grow anything. I like Vicki's switched out theory. lol

1:31 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Gross, but very cool! I can't believe yours didn't grow anything at all!!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Great experiment! We'll be doing this at our house soon...this sounds like something my kids will really enjoy doing.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Mama Teaching 3 said...

OH THAT IS SO GROSS...and fun! :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Hello! I'm a SAHM also, homeschooling my 3 kids, ages 15, 13, and 13.
I found your blog by googling "bread mold." We are getting ready to do this ourselves.
What science curriculum do you use for your kids?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Well, we did ours. Didn't get as much mold as you did, not by far!

One of the kids in our group had a little more mold than mine, and he had white bread. Maybe white bread does better than brown...

I did get some GREAT mold on my tomato slice, tho.
If anyone wants to see it, scroll down here.
http://martysahm.blogspot.com/2010/10/biology-module-4-kingdom-fungi.html

9:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did this lab with my 6th grade students! The reason why some breads don't grow mold is because they are pumped so full of preservatives OR because they have BLEACHED flour in them.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that very nastey

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home