My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Awana Christmas Party

Although I always enjoy the yearly Awana Christmas party/Awana store, it was more of a blessing this year than ever. The kids earn play money for every section that they complete in their Awana books. Twice a year, they get to spend their "money" at the Awana store that we have set up. There's a table of "girly" things and a table of "boy" things, as well as a table of things that someone might want to buy for his/her parent or sibling. Then, we have gift wrappers, which I did this year, to wrap the gifts that they buy for other people. We were so busy wrapping this year that it took four of us to keep up with the kids. It was amazing to me how many gifts the kids bought for other people...some only for other people. I think this is a wonderful chance to show the kids how great it feels to be able to give to someone else....to experience the joy of giving instead of getting.
We had pizza and treats afterwards while the kids watched a movie. It was a great night....Madison even skipped her youth Christmas party to come and help me wrap! I miss her being in Awanas so much. I don't know what I'll do when they've all left for youth. I guess I will be helping in youth then :)!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The church we went to in Portland (before we moved) had Awanas too, and they earned "Lifegate Bucks" too... But they saved up theirs for the entire year, and got to spend it at the carnival at the end of the school year. The kids loved it!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

What a wonderful party and such thoughtful kiddos during the holiday season. I would have been right there helping you wrap the gifts. I love gift wrapping!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Looks like a great time had by all. Kids can be so thoughtful when given the opportunity.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Musings of a Homeschooling Mom said...

That looks like a blast! I'm not sure what Awanas is. I know it's something for kids at a church, but that's all I know. We go to a small church that has kids church on Sunday mornings, but that's it.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Heather the Mama Duk said...

Sounds like a great party.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

It's such a great idea to give kids the chance to buy gifts for people like this. My nephew bought a gift for our son at his school where they had a little "store." And you're right -- it does help spread the good idea and the good feeling of giving to others.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home