My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Our Farm Fieldtrip

We had a homeschool field trip to a farm today! We ended up with around 70 people. It was my first homeschool field trip to coordinate, so I was very happy that we had a good turnout.
First, the kids got to milk a cow and feed the calves with a bottle. Madison and Patrick both declined milking the cow, but Carter was ready for it! Of course, they all wanted to feed the babies!








Next, the children got to hold and pet baby animals. I think everyone's favorite was the baby pig, however, they didn't get to hold him because he was too rowdy. Personally, I think the baby duck was the cutest!

















The Louisiana Hay Maze was so cool! There were hay bales put out in the shape of Louisiana with smaller bales to represent rivers and highways. There were markers set out for major cities. The kids had to find their way from the mouth of the Mississippi River to the location of the farm. Next, the kids got to plant corn and harvest radishes.

























Then, we had a little tour of the rest of the farm. At each stop, the kids learned about a new farm animal and had the opportunity to feed them. At the end of the tour, we had a picnic, followed by a hayride back to the Country Store, where the fieldtrip began. I was so pleased with the day. I was amazed with how much more the children got to do today than they did when Madison and I went to the farm with her third grade school class...I guess because it was a much smaller group today. Last time, we didn't get to do the maze or the planting and sowing. I guess it's just easier for them to get to everything with the smaller group and so many parents there to help. It was an amazing day!

















6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun day! The pictures are great! It looks like the organizer did a great job! :)

6:15 PM  
Blogger Dana Leeds said...

Looks like so much fun... and educational, too! Wish they had something like that around here. Maybe I'll just have to look around.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The pics of the kids holding the baby ducks are just precious. I would have rather learned this way!
Jen Burke

9:20 AM  
Blogger momof3feistykids said...

I love all your pictures! :-)

http://steph-roomofmyown.blogspot.com/

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm glad your field trip was such a success... looks like a lot of fun! Great pics!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Lauren-Thanks for the compliment. The farm owner told me that it was the most organized homeschool group that as ever come, as far as having things planned out....I was so happy with it was my first fieldtrip to organize for the group. I really didn't think I had done such a great job.

Playingschool-I hope you can find a good group. We have other ways to help our children socialize, but there's something about that homeschool group...it is like a school peer group. They are growing up together and experiencing the same things, but just don't learn together. I am so thankful for it!

Hi Jen-I was so happy to see that you had visited OurPlace. Once again, I really enjoyed your piece that I read today.
The little duckies are precious, aren't they? I wanted to sneak one home in my bag!

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home