My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, February 23, 2007

Sick Day For Mom/Teacher

One of the hard things about being a full time mom/teacher is handling sick days. I woke up yesterday morning with a fever and very achy legs. Knowing that I had promised myself a full week of school, complete with all of these wonderful ideas for Science and Social Studies, I didn't allow myself to get back into the bed. I got up and pretended like everything was okay. We made it through the morning, had lunch, then...........I was done! My body was screaming louder than my conscience. I told myself, though I didn't really believe it, that I would just take a little time to rest, then finish up with school stuff later. Of course, when I did settle down to rest, I couldn't stop thinking about the dishes piled up from the morning, the unmade beds, and the books lying everywhere. So, okay, I got up and made all of it right...as right as I could with my legs rebelling against every step that I took. When I finally felt like I could rest with no guilt, I realized that school wasn't going to get finished. Jeff called to say that he got invited to go to a revival, but that he would stay home since I felt bad. I told him that the best thing he could do for me was to bring dinner home, which he did. I told him that I would be fine if he wanted to go. With the last meal of the day done, I knew I would be fine. The kids were great. They played quietly and even sent me a get well note complete with a photograph of themselves(Madison has learned to attached pictures to her emails).
My neighbor was home all day with, seemingly, the same thing that I had. Her son was in school, so she was alone in her bed resting with no responsibilities or guilt for the things that were left undone. For a moment, I felt a little envy. But then, as quickly as I felt it, it was gone. I knew that I wouldn't change a thing. I prefer a little guilt with my aches and pain any day!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I've been battling the same thing here most of the week. That's one of the biggest drawbacks of my job--no sick days. Get well soon!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Awww... sorry you are sick; that is difficult. I hope you will get better quickly.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Dana Leeds said...

Hi, Sherri. So sorry you're sick! Maybe you can get some extra rest time tomorrow. And, it sounds like your dh is a great guy!

Thanks for visiting my blog and telling me about your dd's drawing. It made me smile! Thank you for sharing.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

Boy, you're a trooper! I tried to teach sick exactly ONE time and gave up after about 15 minutes because I was so impatient that I was making it horrible for everyone involved! That's one of the nice things about having older kids, though, is that they can entertain themselves better. Mine are still pretty high maintenance!
Feel better soon, okay?

9:21 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Feel better soon!

When I get sick I figure it's time for the kids to learn some home ec...

Mary

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better! You are such a trooper. Get well soon!!!!!!!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Oh, Sherri I had this a couple of weeks ago (a week of "sick days" that is.) No sub ever showed up, LOL. I sure hope you're feeling better. Sounds like your family really pitched in, that's great!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home