My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Writing

I probably do more writing with my children than most people because it means so much to me. I want to teach them how to do it, while at the same time give them enough space to grow to love it on their own. They each have a journal that they write and draw in sometimes. I let them use this to write without the constraints of correct form or spelling. For writing assignments, they use the 4-square method. It grows with them, allowing them to use it for paragraphs or papers. Some feel that it limits a child, but I feel that it gives them direction as well. When they understand how to put a paragraph or paper together, I will let them try it without the 4-square grid.
One thing that Madison is struggling with is paraphrasing. I let her do some research for her last paper, and now that she has all of the information in her 4-square she has to learn to paraphrase it. She is usually able to copy it right from the 4-square that she has created with her own words. It is so much more difficult for her to read someone else's words and rewrite them. I am going to search tomorrow for some paraphrasing activities for her online. It seems so simple, but I know it can be a complicated concept for some to grasp. I do not want this to turn her against writing, as she has really started enjoying it. I do, however, feel that it is time to introduce her to it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That program looks good! I might have to invest in it once Amanda gets older. I hope she will love writing as much as I do. Journals are such a good thing. Keep up the awesome work Sherri!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

Hmmmm...I think I may have to look into this! Sounds like a good program!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home