My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Petit Jean, Ark

Jeff has been wanting to go to Petit Jean for a while.  We finally made the trip in Oct. 2011.  It was amazing!!!  I can't believe that something so beautiful is so close to  home, and we have never been there. 

Our first trail to walk was the Rock House Cave trail.  It led to a large rock shelter that was once home to Native Americans.  We were even able to see some of the cave paintings that were done.  It was a fun trail with nice views and formations to see.  The most interesting formations were probably the turtle rocks. 

Looking back at this photo now, I realize that it was our last trip with the pop-up camper.  That little camper took us lots of places and opened up so many doors for us to travel and see.  As our kids grew and got bigger, we just knew that we were outgrowing it.  I am so happy for our bigger camper, but will never forget the memories that we made in that little pop-up.

Our next trail was the Cedar Falls trail.  It was a two mile round trip hike to a 95-foot water fall...Cedar Falls.  There were parts of the trail that were a little more strenuous than we have done in the past, but we all enjoyed it so much.  The views were beautiful! One of the best things was seeing the changing colors of the leaves.  We caught it at just the right time!

While I loved all of the great views at Petit Jean, I didn't love how nothing was railed off.  Everything was just so opened with drop offs that took my breath away every time Jeff or one of the kids would get close to them.  Carter, especially, loved to get as close to them as he could and had no fear of running upon them as if they were small ditches.  I tried so hard to step back and not stifle them, but there were some moments that I was literally sick to my stomach with anxiety.  These moments did, however, give us some amazing photos!!!

On our last day, we did a fun and beautiful trail called the Bear Cave Trail.  It was a great place to let the kids climb and for us to see some odd, amazing structures. 


We have camped in a lot of places, but I think that this one was my favorite.  Every day we found new things to see and do...new surprises.  I know that it is a place that I would love to re-visit!!


Packed up for the last time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home