My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 09, 2007

My Heart Feels Lighter

Just as I knew they would, the situations that were weighing me down have worked themselves out. This doesn't mean that everything turned out the way that I would have liked for them to, but that God worked them out the way that He wanted and everyone has made peace with it.

Patrick learned that there are times when people, even your friends, do not act the way they should or the way you have always expected them to. Even more, he learned that he should never burn bridges, especially with good friends and family. He learned how to forgive and to admit his own mistakes in a situation. He learned to see the big picture.

Carter learned that doing your very best does not always mean that you will be acknowledged for it. People do not always choose to do the right thing, even adults. He learned that sometimes in life we work hard for things that just don't happen.....that the real reward comes from enjoying what we do and knowing that we were good at it, or more importantly, that we did it to our best ability.

I learned that I can help my children more by focusing, not on fixing the situations, but tending to their hearts and their needs. I opened the door for communication and made myself available. I listened for things that I could do to help and sometimes just listened. I'm so proud of Patrick and Carter for how they handled their situations. I have to say that both of them demonstrated more maturity than I, myself, sometimes do. They both learned a little more about handling life situations, and I learned a lot more about shepherding them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cyndi said...

"I learned that I can help my children more by focusing, not on fixing the situations, but tending to their hearts and their needs. I opened the door for communication and made myself available."

Oh, this is *huge*. As I navigate these preteen and teenage years with my kids, I'm finding that this is *key.* Good for you for finding this out now and making yourself available to them. You are truly touching their hearts and ministering to them. I'm figuring out now that they truly need someone who will tune in and listen, without necessarily trying to "fix." I loved this post. {{{hug}}} You're a great mom.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Hi Cyndi,
Thank you for a very sweet note. It's always so refreshing to hear from other moms with the same struggles.
I have learned so much from my twin sister because she has older children. I have learned from her mistakes as well as from the things that she has done that worked.
Thanks so much for the kind note!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Karen Hossink said...

I'm so glad things have been resolved.
God's refining fire sometimes hurts to go through, but it always purifies and makes us more like Him.
Yea for you for seeing the lessons within it!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Thankyou Karen!
Yes, they are hard to go through sometimes. It always seems to me like I could have handled things better than I did. It is a daily/minute decision to make the right choices. I have learned that my children watch me ALL the time. They mimic my reaction to things....very scary, isn't it?
Thanks again for the kind note!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home