My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Our Weekend

We've had a full, exciting weekend. How things change when you have children. I remember when I was single and even when Jeff and I first got married and still had no children. I would look at families running around doing things with their children and wonder how it could be fun to them...it just seemed so busy and crazy. Oh, little babies looked fun enough to me, but I just thought it looked hard when they got older. I was so selfish with wanting to do what I wanted to do and couldn't imagine doing things like sitting through ballgames and other functions. Was I ever wrong. I don't know if my heart just changed after I had children, or if I just grew up because of them.
Carter had games both Friday night and Sat...they won both of them :). After the game Friday, we all met to have a pizza party. Try to picture about 15 little uninhibited, excited from winning the game, 7-8 year old boys with music and pizza. Yep, it was fun to get caught up in that.
Saturday's game was great! Carter caught his second pop up behind the plate and batted well. The team did an excellent job!
Saturday evening, Jeff's parents took the kids to a college baseball game....Carter was SO excited! He left with the goal of catching a ball...he came home with one thanks to Jeff's Dad who managed to get a ball thrown up to him! Carter was still talking about it at church today.
What did Jeff and I do while they were at the game? We went on a date :). We went out to eat and then to shop for a while. What a man to take me shopping on a date!
The kids had their Awana Celebration tonight at church to end Awana for the year. They got to spend their Awana bucks, eat pizza, and receive their awards for the year. Madison and Patrick both received certificates and their book awards. Carter received a certificate, two book awards, and a "top ten clubber" trophy. Carter also won a raffle! The kids all loved trying to spot themselves on the video they showed of the Awana year. Jeff also received his 1 one service pin, and I received my 5 year pin. It was fun.
Unfortunately, Jeff missed the Celebration because he had a singing, but I know he will be proud to come home and see all of their stuff. He knows they have worked hard this year. Once again, I felt thankful tonight for having moved to this church. The kids have been so involved with Awana and Children's Choir. Within the year, we have watched both of our boys come to salvation and follow in Baptism. Of all the things that we try to give our children, none of it means anything compared to our desire to see them saved. It has been a great year. Thank God for it....thank God for filling our lives with children!





















5 Comments:

Blogger Joshua Layton-Wood said...

Blessings to you and your family. I was just browsing through blogs when I noticed 'your place'. I am a Canadian home-school graduate. Now I study philosophy and English literature at Tyndale University College in Toronto. I have to tell you that homeschooling really set me up well for university life. I wouldn't have had it any other way in hindsight. I recognized the sparky vests too! I did that until I got to 'truth and training'. I have a blog devoted to literature reviews. An British schoolmate and I are keeping in touch over the summer by reading the Chronicles of Narnia together. If your children like Lewis you might keep an eye out for our commentary.
http://readingsinthewood.blogspot.com/
Our Narnia posts are marked CN and have a number indicating the book number and chapter number. You probably won't be able to follow our page numbers unless you have the harpercollins publication of the full set.
Regardless, have a great summer. And visit Canada sometime!*
Cheers,
Joshuaofthewood
(*I presume that you are American because you mentioned thanksgiving in a November blog)

9:56 PM  
Blogger momof3feistykids said...

What an eventful weekend! :-)

http://steph-roomofmyown.blogspot.com/

11:12 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Thankyou Steph and Joshua for your comments.
It's nice to "meet" you Joshua. It is so inspiring to hear from someone who was homeschooled with a positive outcome as you obviously were. I visited your Blog and was very impressed with your commentaries. I look forward to reading more.
As for visiting Canada one day...I hope to. I have a lot of friends there whom I have never met IRL! I hope to some day.
Thanks again for the notes!

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good weekend! I often wonder what would we do without them? I know we were fine before, but what a blessing it is to have them now and for our calendar to be filled with all the fun things kids do!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Karate Mom said...

What a great weekend! And Awanas sounds so neat for your kids! I may look into that for next year.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home